28 | Wedding Gift

Adira Bowen

The package hadn't come in yet and my nerves were building up. We were leaving in a few hours and I needed this to come in. It would settle my nerves of tomorrow. The day we'd be married.

I knew he'd called my family, his and close friends. He had it all planned out, he somehow always had a plan. No matter how much I try and fuck them up, he always came back with something sensible and thought out.

He already had a back up to the original plan, he knew me all too well. I opened the front door again to be greeted by an empty hallway with no package in sight.

"If it doesn't come in time, you can just give it to me when we get home. There's no rush Princess" I turn back to him to see the suitcases ready for our trip. My dress was already on its way there with Lydia bringing it by hand.

"Do I get to spend tonight with you?" He nods, he knew how bad the night before my last wedding was. I hated every second of that.

"You can't sleep in the same bed as me according to Catherine, but I get to be with you til 11:59 on the dot Princess" I sighed in agreement and reached for the suitcases but he refused and began rolling them himself. I wasn't going to be one to argue.

I slowly grew better over the week, because I had someone greater than anyone I knew. Who wanted to marry and start a life with me. He'd be thrilled for anything, I knew he'd married me in any condition, as long as I wanted to marry him.

As we stepped out the door a smile grew on my face. The package came in, and some sort of ease was placed on me, "Finally!" I pick it up off the floor as Rhys waited for me.

I followed him out to the car and the driver locked us in. I leaned into his arms. Millions of thoughts running through my mind. I was excited, a feeling I hadn't felt in a long time.

I was excited to go back to Boston, see the harbor and my family. It all felt like a sign, we were meant to do it this way. Not in some big stuffy party with people who half knew us.

—————————————

Rehearsal was mellow, sweet and filled with laughter. Because it was just me, Rhys, Stiles, Porter, Lydia and Catherine who I had chosen as my maid of honor. But Stiles and Cat were a pain in our ass.

He kept cracking the most annoying jokes about the wind sweeping me away into the ocean tomorrow. Ones that I didn't find funny but of course they all did.

As the sun set Rhys held me in his arms as we looked out to it. I heard someone whistle and turned to see Cat holding a box of pizza she'd ordered for us and Stiles downed his bear. It was the most perfect rehearsal. With four people we loved and no high stakes. It wasn't some fancy flamboyant party, it was family.

"God I remember when you were a Junior in college and we came to visit. It was the weekend of your semi formal and when Rhys saw you ready for that dance. I swear he could've punched someone because he wanted you so bad" I glance over at him after Lydia's words, I suck on my bottom lip as he just sat flustered.

"He was with my wife, how would you feel if you had to watch another girl with Porter for years?" Lydia glanced at Porter and shook her head.

"I think I'd murder her."

"And there's the Lydia we know and love" Porter joked and shook his head. I grabbed another slice and got cozy in Rhys arms. It was the most perfect thing, nobody was drunk or in the mood to be. There was no drama or stuck up traditions to follow. We were simply enjoying each others company.