26 | So much smoke

Rhys Hawking

I hated days like today. The one where it's meeting after meeting and instead of feeling rejoiced I'm just tired. I loved my job, running a company and building this life for myself.

But I find myself missing her during the day. A picture frame on my desk doesn't cut it. I know if I returned home she'd just be at work herself, she was my little work dork. But I'd spend a life time listening to her rant on how the solar system is so extraordinary or that the moon is really lemon shaped.

I don't believe that one for a second though, it'll be an ongoing debate until she goes there herself. But she claimed, if she goes to the moon, she's taking me with her. I agreed because the silence in space would make her go crazy.

"Mr.Hawking the Daniel's are here for your meeting?" I nod signaling Clyde to send them in. The two men in tight suits that were one size too small entered my room. I knew a scam when I saw it coming, but they kept requesting this meeting.

"We'd like you to invest in our company Mr.Hawking" A file is handed to me as they take two seats and I remain silent.

"What if I'm not looking to invest in anything right now? You know I have an industry to run right? I have a wife at home and people I love that drive me crazy. So my time is really valuable and you've taken many seconds of it up" They remain composed and then I sigh.

"Look you two are young" I was probably the same age, "You are starting up, but trying to scam big companies will come with a price. Get out of my office before I take that little camera" I turn pointing to it in the corner.

"And use the recordings of your face to plaster everywhere, you won't be able to walk within five feet of the finance district" I turned not wanting to hear a fit and as I reach for my phone it buzzes. Clyde comes in taking the boys as I answer.

"Hello?" I heard heavy breathing on the other line as I remained still in my chair, "Hello?"

"Rhys there's a fire in the Bernhart building on 8th, where my posting was today" It was Stiles on the other line, I was more than confused on what he meant by this.

"Stiles what's the matter, why are you there and not by Columbia? Who's watching Adira."

"She's in that building Rhys, they won't let me in but she's in there. It's not that bad right now" My hands begin to shake as I realize why he's called, fear was an interesting feeling and one that I hated. But nothing scared me more than Adira being in pain or dying.

"You better find a way to get your ass in that building or so help me god I'll kill you Stiles" I end the line and sweep off my desk.

———————————————

The block was packed down the street with police and firefighters. But I could see it in the distance, a building up in flames and my heart sank. I felt like I almost couldn't breathe.

But abandoning my car I run as fast as my legs can take me. My heart pounds faster as the building come into sight. It was in flames, firefighter were retrieving people.

"Adira!" My voice screams as I make it closer and look around, but she wasn't around here and neither was Stiles, "Adira!" I yell again.