29 | She got to love me like I did her

Rhys Hawking

She stood at the end of the dock. I could see her holding her father's arm while I waited for her on the deck of the boat. Our close friends and family stood staring as she came more into view.

Adira was the most beautiful woman in the world. But at this moment I couldn't believe how unbelievably lucky I was that she was mine. That we'd have a family of our own soon. We'd get to start our lives together.

My eyes blurred as she came into full view as she stepped onto the boat. Her dress hugged her body perfectly as her veil draped over her head. She held daisies as she walked and handed them to Catherine. As she met me her small hands clutched mine.

I couldn't hear a word as the minister began to speak, because all I could see was her. She was the only thing that existed in my world at this moment.

The ceremony flew by quicker than I thought. Because I find myself saying 'I do' followed by Adira and our rings are exchanged.

"I now pronounce you, husband and wife" I lifted her veil to see her beautiful face clear. I pull her in for a kiss, my first kiss shared with my wife. She takes my hand and we leave the boat as our friends and family follow.

It was a moment like this that would be captured in my heart forever. It was just us and nobody else, no budging plans or stuffy people we had to talk to. We didn't have to make sure we talked to everyone or if people were having fun. We just had to worry about ourselves.

I just had to worry about her, about them. I couldn't believe Adira was pregnant. It wasn't in the plans for a bit, I was so worried about how she felt. Because I knew it's not what she saw yet, we were just beginning. But my heart leapt faster than I could think, when she said she was happy. I was over the moon to be having a child with her. The only woman I've ever loved.

————————————————

We made it to our small reception that took place by the Cape in the backyard of a coastal home. She wanted it to have a more home like feel and I couldn't agree more. A long big table was set for everyone to sit at, so we could have dinner with everyone. Even the photographer was invited to dinner, as Adira explained.

She was working hard, she at least deserved a meal out of it. Even though it was a more intimate dinner with everyone. As we took our seats at the table, she held my hand tight.

"We are married?" She whispered questioning me a hint of excitement in her voice. I almost couldn't believe it either, after all these years.

"I think so?" I whispered back. Her cheeks blushed with my reply and her laughter fills my ears like some type of medicine. As everyone engaged in conversation of their own. We just remained in each other's world.

She then discreetly moved my hand to her stomach with a small smile and then winked at me.

Our attention was turned back to the table as Porter clinked his glass and stood with Lydia.

"A day you may never have seen coming, but we most certainly did is here" Lydia begins, "You don't understand the manifestations I had about them, and now that we are here. It all just seems so right, so perfect. I've never met two people who were more made for each other, not just as lovers but as partners in this life. I wish you all the happiness and I can't wait to watch you two grow" Her eyes watered as she spoke, a genuine smile at Adira.