22 | Body count

ᴍᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ
Adira Bowen

In a few short days Lucy Jankings would be married. With me standing tall (or short) as one of her bridesmaids. But even weirder, tonight was considered her 'last night' as a single woman.

It felt almost weird for her to be getting married. But yet again, she went through this with me. Except I got brutally hammered and cried because of marital anxiety. It was all valid.

"You look freaked out?" I look up in the mirror to see him behind me, "You haven't had that look since I passed out on the field?" I had a lot on my mind, about the future. It all scared me in ways I didn't understand, not knowing where anything was going.

"Everyone took a knee on the field around you, and you should've known I was freaking out that the wide receiver might miss the Thanksgiving game" He nuzzled his face into my neck as I felt his stubble graze against my skin.

"I always knew you preferred me playing lacrosse more" That day in the fall I was hysterical, I was treated as if I was Rhys girlfriend. He went down on the field suddenly due to extreme dehydration. He felt like an idiot when he woke in his hospital bed, scared me half to death.

We were sophomores in college and that was the day I met his mother Jennie, "You were a better lacrosse player anyways and we both know it. But you looked sexy as hell in the uniforms" He pulls my body to face him and I'm lifted up onto the bathroom counter.

Smiling he pulls me in for a kiss and then rests my forehead against his, "Not as sexy as you in your little spirit shirts and short shorts. Those never went unnoticed, especially when they went away" He gives me a stern look, but he knew full well that his ex best friend was a jealous asshole.

"I think he might've picked up on you liking them a little too much" He scoops me up off the counter and throws me over his shoulder slapping my ass unexpectedly as I squirm.

"Rhys!"

"These ass cheeks are mine now Princess alright? They'll be mine for the rest of our lives" I feel his lips press against them as he carries me out of the bathroom and into our room.

"Rhys I have to finish getting ready for Lucy's bachelorette" He groans setting me down in a chair hunching over me. He then scans my legs hungrily as I laid underneath him.

"Can't you just stay and be with me all night? You really want to spend your night with strippers and penis shaped pasta?"

"There will be no penis shaped pasta, I can't guarantee no strippers. But I already have what I need to satisfy me" He leans down pecking my lips with a smile.

"I love you, you know that Adira?"

"Always" I whispered back.

——————————————

Sitting at a bar in some club pretending to enjoy Kates company for the past few hours was hell. I simply wanted to hideaway and drown myself in tequila. But it was Lucy's night, not mine.

She seemed to be enjoying her time though, she was slightly tipsy. Yet so was I, but I've missed her. She was my rock growing up and since she left things were harder.

Another shot of tequila burns my throat as I slouch back in the booth, "So Lucy, what's your body count?" Her friend Anna asks as all eyes land on her. Sucking in her lips she shrugs.