6 | Cold Shower

Adira Bowen

The days here slipped away so simply. Being phone-free and absorbed by the beaches of Monaco, I was in bliss.

I didn't have a care in the world or a thing to be worried about. My job was waiting back for me at home, and my apartment would be on the market soon. I'd only been in touch with my brother Noah.

He was handling everything, my apartment, my mother, and the guests. It was such a wreck back there and I knew it. But he wouldn't tell me, but the notification that made my day.

My engagement ring was just listed on Facebook marketplace for all our friends and family to see. I put it up for five hundred dollars throwing salt into his wound. It was worth more of course, but it seemed pretty worthless now built on lies.

Rhys found it funny, it was soothing how much he cared. He knew I was hurting, he didn't shove that part away. But he wanted to remind me that there is more to life than just relationships. We grow and in the end, nobody's together forever.

Not in a dark sense, nobody knows what happens when we die. But we could be separated from our partners... but I'm only thinking like this because I'm sick of love. I'm sick of seeing the happy couples on the boardwalks all loved up.

I never thought I'd be against it. But I was bruised in my own battle and I needed to heal.

I stood from the chair my body had been glued to today and made my way towards the water. As my toes reached the cool liquid I shivered slightly. The wind blew as I stretched my arms and took two steps further.

"You from here?" I turn to see a man approaching me from a group. I shake my head in response and turn back to the water.

"Damn Cameron, she can't even look at you... your that ugly" I look up again to see one of his friends patting his shoulder, and a group of boys stared over at us.

"How's your spring break going?" They looked at me confused and I glanced over at their friend's fraternity shirt.

"Dylan you blew it!" Cameron looked back at me with a smirk, "Senior year trip to Monaco, what brings you here?" Those green eyes were dangerous, but I knew of ones that could kill.

"Her honeymoon" His voice comes out of nowhere and before I could turn his arms wrapped around my waist tight. The poor boy looked as if he could liquefy at that moment.

"R-Rhys Hawking" This time his friend spoke.

"Come on Princess, let the boys go play" He tugs me with him and we head back to where I was sitting. A serious look is displayed on his face.

"Are you okay?" He whispers as we walk forward.

"Yeah I'm fine" He stops me out front and tilts his head, "What? I'm fine I'm being honest?"

"I know I just know you and sometimes you don't like to be honest about how you are. Did they say something to you?" I glance over at the boys who now stare at the two of us and back to him shaking my head.

"Not a word I promise" He looks half convinced and he glances back at them to me and just nods.

"Sorry I called you my... well said that this was our-"