24 | Dark and twisted

Adira Bowen

I make it to the bathroom and my shaking body hits the floor. I reach the toilet and hoist myself over it as the rest of my dinner comes up. I groan in pain as I feel my lungs tire.

I couldn't stomach it, I didn't want to believe it to be true. But his face, when he saw me and realized I already knew. That hurt even more.

I needed the emotional space, my body needed it. I regretted going to Lucy's wedding, seeing Kate and having to see him again. I wish we didn't go, I wish it was seven hours ago. Before I learned the truth from someone else.

At a certain point my eyes felt puffed and swollen from the tears. It made sense, it was aligning. The arranged marriages, father's disapproval and his defiance. I wanted to believe it when he said he didn't want this life, he didn't want me in it.

But he can't run from that, people know him. The bad guys, is he one of the bad guys? My stomach churns at the thought, I only had one version of Rhys in my head. The one where he's polite and kind and would only harm someone if they went after his family. He'd never hurt a fly unless it was trying to hurt me.

I remained in a curled ball beside the toilet. My hand clutch my empty but soured stomach, I wanted to go back. I wanted to find out moments before I knew, I wanted him to tell me. I avoided Jace like the plague but being cornered at a wedding where you can't make a scene.

I wondered what Rhys would do, murder didn't seem like something he could do. But now it was all blurred, if he could keep this what else was he keeping.

I watched the hues of pink enter the sky as I remained here, glued to the ground. Then I heard the lightest of knocks.

"Adira?" His voice sounded ragged and distant. He didn't even try the handle to open, he waited for me to respond. The door was unlocked, but he didn't try to enter.

"Why didn't you tell me" The first words in hours leave my mouth, "If I'm your person, why couldn't you have trusted me. Of all people Rhys, it's me... it's Adira" My hand pressed against the door, giving me the emotional space I needed.

"I'd never hurt you Princess... I didn't want you to find out this way. I just got so scared to tell you because you'd leave" His voice broke at the end, I didn't quite know what I would do. What I should do.

I didn't know it all, I deserved to. I wanted the truth, why he kept it. What he's done and what this means for us.

I crack the door open and slowly push it wide to see him standing. Bags under his eyes as he stood patient, "Why didn't you say a word, what does this mean Rhys?" He remained standing where he was and a solemn expression remained on his face.

"I was born the heir of the Greek mafia, I've been trying to get Porter to take my spot. That's why I had to marry Cressida, I've avoided the job for years. But my father is demanding and I can only put it off for so long. I always dreamed of running away with you" I felt the tears glisten my eyes as he stood, a life robbed from him. I could see it in his eyes he had demons but wanted the regular life.

"Is this why you said you had to marry me? You didn't want to because you love me, but because of the obligation?" His face drops from my words and without a second thought. He wrapped his arm behind me and pulled me against his chest.