Chapter nineteen - Seized

Alex:

'Well that's good to hear,' Alex mumbled - trying to sound honest and politely, what didn't succeeded. It sounded more like; God, like I care man. His eyes went out to the waitress too now, sighing as soon as she pointed out at our table. It must have been hilarious for her, since Alex sat like he was stoned or something.

When Nigel suddenly replied his last sentence, he cocked his head and turned his face away - away from the waitress ánd Nigel. He just stared somewhere around now, acting like he didn't heard it in the first place. Then, when Nigel also asked him that question, Alex hit his eyes to the table - as if he wanted to poke his food with a fork. Sadly, there was no plate on his table yet, so he couldn't attack the food with his cutlery.

'And why do you ask that?' Alex mumbled now, not attempting to answer the question.

Nigel:

He shrugged his shoulders though his playful smile remained. Apparently it amused Nigel, the way he got Alex uncomfortable. It would probably make sense for him to feel sorry for Alex and not to make this harder on him, but Nigel lacked the emotional empathy to realise that.

"Plain curiosity.. Also I wonder why you're so desperately trying to keep it a secret.. It's a piece of information in our mind that's inaccessible to me."

Notice how he said our 'mind', instead of using the plural version of it.

"You already told me you loved me.. and I told you I know. So I wonder what else it could be that makes you so determined to hide it anyway."

Alex:

Alex stared at his hands now which were lying on his lap. He swallowed, not noticing a thing from Alex his playful smile. He didn't wanted to face that. It would only make him feel more uncomfortable.

His shoulders got shrugged as soon as he mentioned about the secrets he kept for him. He all kept it in secret because it was for the best - in his eyes. He thought he would make everything easier for the both of them if he wouldn't tell him these things.

'I told you to forget about that,' Alex replied him now as he gazed up - only with his eyes. He swallowed again and placed his back against the backrest of the chair now. 'Just forget about it, okay? It's nothing that important. Nothing that you should know. It's unnecessary.'

Nigel:

He snorted, leaning back against his chair now without pulling his gaze away from Alex.

"It's not something I am likely to forget, Jack."

Alex thought it was easier this way.. Better for the both of them. If Nigel knew he had disagreed. This wasn't better. Secrets were not better. The closer they were the better.. that was the rule. Nothing else mattered.

"I think you're wrong," Nigel just said, finally pulling his eyes away when a waitress put down their breakfast. Nigel didn't hesitated and prepared himself a piece of toast. He was starving and acing for feeling better. It was only for that reason that he decided to let the subject go .. for now at least.

Alex:

'Then don't,' he grumbled back as the dish got served by the waitress. Alex didn't served her a smile. Not even a gaze or a word of thanking. He just kept staring at the table - where a dish stood now. Only the smell made him almost throw up. The nervousness from before had fed him, what made him feel full for the upcoming hours probably.

'I'm sorry,' he mumbled now as he took a fork, trying to begin at his dish - which didn't succeed. He placed his fork back on the table and gazed back at his hands which laid on his lap again.