Chapter 29 - Final decision

Alex:

Alex slowly licked his lips and stroked through Nigel his hair as he closed his eyes as well. A little smile crossed his left mouth corner, resting there purely. But as soon as Nigel mentioned the dying part, the smile disappeared and a painful line took place instead of that joying smile. Dying. Exactly.

'You're doing well, Nigel. I couldn't have stayed like this for any loner if you would've came back, but you did.' He wrapped his arms around Nigel as soon as he nuzzled against him, and buried his face into Nigel his collar. Odd, how they always went to bed in their normal clothes. Not very hygienic either.

'Goodnight Nigel, we did a great job tonight. Again, I'm glad you're back...'

Nigel:

"Of course I did, I promised.." he mumbled lazily against the skin of Alex' cheek. Soon enough he felt exhaustion pulling hum further down into unconsciousness and he welcomed it like an old friend. It had been a long day.

"And so am I," he said, though it was barely audible anymore, and then he fell silent, allowing sleep to take him in. He dreamt badly that night, though.. He just didn't know why. He couldn't know that it was his subconscious, - or perhaps the subconscious of the both of them since they practically shared their mind, - warning him for what was about to happen.

Alex:

'I know,' Alex answered while smiling satisfied. He came up a bit and started to stroke the hair out of Nigel his face like a mother would do while watching her child falling asleep. 'I know you promised, and you nicely did what you had to do.' Alex pouted his lower lip without knowing as he kept thumbing through Nigel his brown messy hair. 'We're almost ready...' he whispered now - mostly to himself. He didn't wanted Nigel to question him about it, so he highly hoped he hadn't heard it.

The voices inside Alex his head were taking over. They're telling him that his life was in danger and that he had to do something as quickly as possible. He was running out of time. For a moment he was scared that the silence wasn't about to come back. He believed this was his darkest hour.

As Nigel finally seemed to be asleep - yes, Alex was watching him all the time and gauging his breath - he slowly moved out to bed and stopped to stare for a moment. There he stood, being a schizophrenic as he fought against the voices in his head. They told him to end his life - since he highly believed he was about to get his immortality if he would.

Alex stroked his fingertips over the drawer of the nightstand and opened it, slowly searching through the personal stuff the guy had left here. He couldn't find much, honestly. Only lots of papers, condoms and yeah, actually that was pretty it. A glance got served to Nigel - and then to the nightstand next to him. He slowly moved toward the nightstand, and started searching there. Luckily for him, he found several anti-depression pills. He knew that would be enough. Enough compared with some absinthe if he could find stuff like that in here.

Alex slowly turned his head toward Nigel, and bend over his body to press his lips softly against his yaw. Softly he began to stroke his lips toward Nigel's, keeping his eyes closed as he twisted the bottle of pills in his hand, pressing them closely against his chest where he could his heartbeat pounding against his stratum corneum. He knew that if this wasn't about to work out, he would leave Nigel forever, probably. But he had faith. Nigel had been coming back too, hadn't he?

He inhaled deeply and bend back then.

'Hang on,' he softly whispered as he pressed his lips for the last time against his cheek. 'I'll come back for you.' Alex wrote Nigel a note where he explained everything. How he would might not be coming back, but how he would do his upper best. How they would share immortality and how Alex would be his most loyal wielder.

He folded it and shoved it into Nigel his hand without waking him up... Then Alex left the room, keeping his warm fingers tightly wrapped around the bottle of pills.

A shiver climbed up his spine as he walked downstairs towards the kitchen, searching for anything which contained alcohol. And he found some, oh yes he did - though it wasn't absinthe. It was for the best, though. Absinthe would've might been too much to handle quietly. As soon as he grabbed a bottle he went back upstairs again, searching for the bathroom where the lady her corpse had been laying before. He took a seat in the bathtub after closing the door and locking it up, and slowly swallowed away each pill in the bottle. After that, he quietly swallowed away the burning substance in the bottle of alcohol, making sure he wouldn't wake up again.

After a minute or twenty Alex began to feel dizzy already - probably because of the alcohol only. Then, after forty minutes... He drifted into a deep deep sleep, being unconsciously about the risk that he might would never wake up again...

Nigel:

Nigel enjoyed the warmth of Alex' hand over his forehead as he gently brushed away his hair. Peaceful and oblivious for what was about to happen it didn't take long for Nigel to fall into a deep sleep. Deep enough not to wake up, even as Alex

rumbled through the cabinets and kissed his jaw and lips, whispering the promises he never heard. He didn't wake up when Alex sneaked down the stared or eve fell down.. No, it wasn't until Alex' heart stopped beating that Nigel's sleep was roughly disturbed and cut short. He woke up with a gasp, eyes wide open. What was this emptiness waking him? It was like something tore apart from him. It didn't bring any physical pain and yet it hurt like he imagined hell to hurt like.

When his fists clenched together he felt the paper of the note crunching between his fingers. Confused and disorientated Nigel read the paper. And without seconds he was out of bed, running through the house, calling out his companion’s name. His real name, Alex.

It didn't take long for Nigel to actually find him, in the bathtub, including the bottle that used to contain the pills that killed him. "No, no, no.." he uttered, softly still, getting down on his knees beside him. "Don't be dead, don't you dare..-" he mumbled, lifting his hand to check Alex' pulse in his neck and even on his wrists.. Then again it was a futile check. He could have known already that Alex was already gone. He could feel it. An empty, acing gap in his mind where Alex tore away from him.

When he felt no pulse, as expected, he pulled back to read the note again.. 'probably', it said.. 'probably' he'd be back. "Just probably!?" he suddenly yelled at Alex. "Just fucking probably!? You are not goddamn sure!?"

After that a short silence fell, and when there was no reaction from Alex he tried to contact him through minds, but there was nothing there to contact to. Realizing this, he broke. Tears stung in his eyes and his head dropped on Alex' chest, cursing and grieving about how they could have had it all...

Alex:

It took a little while till Alex finally passed out completely, as got told. It took him forty minutes to fall into a deep sleep without letting one tear dripping down his pale cheek. As soon as his eyes slowly closed, a tear had left his eye, making his way towards Alex his left mouth corner, kissing it patiently to give him this last salty taste. His fingers were wrapped around the corner of the bathtub, but his grip slowly weakened. Within a few minutes he had a dreamless sleep, and after another few minutes his heartbeat stopped. There was no way to get rescued anymore. Alex died. This time for real. And no one could change that. Not even Nigel himself...

The way Nigel had treated him, the way he had yelled, sobbed and questioned him had never made any difference. He hadn't moved that night, nor answered, nor lived. Not anymore at least... In time Nigel had placed his head upon Alex his chest, crying in silence, Alex his body had already became cold and his body slowly loss his pliancy. Since he was laying in a bathtub - and he had no single sense of body warmth around him in the moment he died - he became cold quite speedily, though Nigel had been able to feel the warmth of his blood when he'd checked his pulse. The point was, it decreased drastically. It was quite a pity that Alex hadn't been able to hear Nigel cursing by the way. He'd never seen him like this before, and honestly he didn't even believed Nigel had such coarse language in his mouth. Nevertheless, the cause of the language was terrible…

Alex was gone, maybe never to return.