Butterfly Baby

"You alright girl?" Janie put her hand on my shoulder, staring at me with concern. My head was resting against my locker and I was closing my eyes, trying to get some kind of minuscule rest before the bell rang.

"Whaaa? Uh yeah. Yeah. I'm fine." I shook myself, trying to stay awake. Janie rolled her eyes, obviously not believing me.

"Seriously Charlie, you look like someone ran you over with a bus then threw you in volcano."

"Gee thanks for the compliment." She laughed but gave me a serious glance afterwards.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Before I could answer, Maria came up behind her and thankfully interrupted me.

"Hey hey he- what the hell happened to you Charlotte?!" Janie threw her hands up in exasperation.

"See! I told you!" Maria stared at me.

"Honey you look like someone ran-"

"Over me with a bus and threw me in a volcano. I know. I get it." She gave me a weird look.

"Actually I was going to say run you over with a truck and then busted you in the head with a frying pan....but I like your interpretation better." Janie did a little victory dance in the middle of the hallway.

"My observations are on pointtt." Then, can you guess what happened? The little nincompoop decided to show up.

"Hey baby." I made gagging noises as my best friend and Will started making out right in front of me. Clearing my throat I said loudly,

"EXCUSE ME YOU TWO. YOU'RE IN FRONT OF MY LOCKER." They weren't listening so Janie shoved them to the other side. I smiled at her gratefully.

"Thanks."

"Haha no. Don't think you can get out of this conversation." Before I could try to worm my way out of another explanation, the bell rang. never, in my whole life, have I been more thankful for class to start.

Poke. Poke. Poke. Flick.

"CAN YOU STOP?" I didn't look and see who it was that I was yelling at, simply annoyed that they wouldn't stop poking me.

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning." I turned to see Logan sitting behind me, looking worried. My stomach started freaking out as the butterflies decided to break free of their cages.

"Uh-sorry. I didn't know it was you." He gave me a smile but the concern was still evident in his eyes.

"Don't worry about it. Want to tell me what's going on?" I licked my lips, and tried to come up with an answer.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean explain why you look like someone ran over-"

"I know, I know. Ran over me with a bus then threw me into a volcano then ran me over again with a truck then hit me on the head with a frying pan." He raised his eyebrow.

"I was saying you look like someone ran over you with a tractor trailer but that works too." I shrugged and gave him a small smile, grateful that he was concerned.

"I'm fine." He put his hand on my shoulder and I could feel the sparks.

"No you're not."

"Ms.Wolfe and Mr.Emersten why are you talking during my lesson?" Logan gave an annoyed look at the teacher.

"Why are you teaching during our conversation?" That got a lot of oh's from the class, but no one was really surprised. It was known throughout the school that Logan didn't really care for teachers, or school in general but that didn't mean he didn't try. He got fantastic grades so the teachers and administration didn't really stop him back talking because he was one of the best students in the district.