Chapter 29

Cheyenne

I was interrupted from my thoughts a few hours later by loud, harsh knocks against the door. I sat up straight from where I was leaning against a mound of pillows and blankets on the bed with wide eyes.

This hadn't happened before, I had never felt in actual physical danger like this here before. I just slid out of the bed as the thumping on the door got louder and was accompanied by shouting, Markus shouting to be specific.

"Cheyenne, open the door! Open the door right now!"

The sound of his voice got me moving, I was not going to be in here when he got through that door. I quickly ran to the window, yanking it open. I popped the screen out and stuck my head through it. I couldn't get to the ground, there weren't any ledges and I was not going to just jump.

I saw a tree close to the house a couple feet to the right, so I look up. I could see the edge of the roofing a few feet up from the top of the window.

Bingo.

I pulled my head back into the room and turn around so I could climb out and be facing the side of the house.

This had taken me about a minute and I could tell Markus was losing his patience. I could hear the wood of the door cracking under the pressure of his fist and his shouting was getting louder.

Once I got to my feet, balancing against the side of the house, I reached up to the roof. Just the tips of my fingers could reach it.

I took a deep breath, knowing that with my luck I would end up falling to my death doing this, but I was going to die at some point anyway. I quickly hopped and gripped the edge of the roofing, getting a firm hold on my first try.

I quickly pulled myself up, purely on adrenaline, and slowly stood on the slanted roof. I leaned down on it and slowly started shuffling towards the tree.

I heard the door break down due to Markus' pounding on it, and he growled in frustration when he saw I wasn't in the room. I heard loud footsteps and then an even louder growl, he probably checked the bathroom as well. I heard more loud footsteps from him and then more join him in the room. That's when I tuned them out and focused on getting to the tree.

Once I had gotten to the branch that was closest to the house I turned around on the roof, and that was when I heard someone else get on the roof.

I glanced over to find Antonio on the roof, slowly making his way over to me. I rolled my eyes and flipped him off, focusing back onto not falling to my death.

"Listen, Cheyenne, I'm not sure on what you're feeling right now, and I know you probably don't want to see my right now, but just think about what you're about to do."

Did he think I was going to commit suicide? Well, I was on a roof and in a very stressful situation. But still, I wasn't at that point of desperation yet.

I looked at the branches close enough to jump onto that seemed thick enough to support my weight.

Antonio had slowly gotten closer, making me even more on edge than before, and looked like he was about to grab me.

I jumped for the thickest branch right when Antonio reached for me, and we both ended up off the roof. I reached out my hands and grabbed onto the closest branch, securing myself from plummeting to my doom.

Not even a second later Antonio grabbed onto my leg, hugging my calf, to keep himself from falling. The force of his weight almost made me lose my grip on the branch.

Great, now I was dangling from a tree with one of my kidnappers hanging onto me.