Chapter 48

Jason

Just as I was considering pulling over to check on Cheyenne, one of the taillights smashed into the road behind our car. Perfect timing. She was always surprising me, and this was predictable but shocking as I had assumed she was passed out.

I quickly pulled off onto the shoulder of the road and shut the car off. Antonio and I glanced at each other, solidifying that we were both prepared for the plan, and went to open the trunk.

~~

Cheyenne

I had never been so scared in my entire life. I was sitting and waiting for the trunk to open, the car had stopped, and now the situation was just full of suspense. I felt frozen, and once I heard two doors slam shut, it just intensified my fear of the unknown.

The unknown of the reasons for my situation. The unknown of who had done this to me. The unknown of where I was and how long I had been out before waking up in this trunk.

Should I have kicked out that light? It is bringing me face to face with my abductors, but it also sounds like we are on an empty road, so I am on my own. Now that the car is off and there is what sounds like two people on the other side of the trunk, I am not sure if I want to see them.

Just then, I heard the click of the trunk's button being pressed and I inched back into the little space I had behind me in the trunk. I wanted to fly away rather than fight in this instance, but my choices had forced me to confront whoever had taken me.

A dim light soaked into the trunk, it was either around sunrise or sunset, so my eyes adjusted rather quickly. I saw two men standing before, one immediately in front of the trunk, and the other a few steps away. But before I could make out any important facial details, I was pulled from the trunk.

The fact that he could lift me with just one arm without any struggle, made me even more nervous; how was I going to even try to hold my own against someone with that much strength? My focus went to the distance between my feet and the ground and the sweatshirt he was holding me up by, which I realized was not mine, and I needed to get out of the situation.

In a turn of luck for me, the other man stepped in. He all but threw me out of the first man's grip, and I found myself a couple of feet away from them, as they began arguing about me.

"Hey, be careful with her!" The second man, whom I have dubbed 'Guy 2,' shouted to the first guy.

"Well, what do you supposed we do to her? She just kicked out the taillight!" The first man, 'Guy 1,' the one that was holding me up, argued back.

I decided I didn't want to stay long enough to hear what they agreed upon. I looked around to see a dense, green treeline not far away from the side of the road they had pulled off of. I carefully got to my feet, watching them to see if they would notice, and then took off towards the trees. I was careful to not make much noise, but I was also going as fast as possible so I could disappear from their sight.

Once I got to the trees, I ran a few feet into the tree line, to make sure I was decently well hid from the road, and then I looked back. I could just make out their bodies in the dark, they were still arguing next to the car. So, I just kept going. I went a little bit deeper into the trees until I could just barely see the road and continued along with it but in the opposite direction that they were driving.

~

After what seemed like hours of walking, the sun had risen up higher into the sky confirming that I had escaped the trunk at just around sunrise.

Holy shit.

I had been kidnapped. Someone was able to literally abduct me, and they were driving away with me. What the fuck?

I took a moment to glance around, confirming that I was completely alone in the woods. There hadn't been any cars on the road since I had escaped from the two men.

Taking the chance of a short break, I looked down at the clothes I was wearing. A light gray turtleneck and a dark pair of jeans, loose around the legs but fitted around the butt and hips. Two pieces of clothing that were definitely not mine. I mean I would probably purchase the turtleneck myself, but I know for a fact I was not wearing this when I got kidnapped.

Actually, I don't specifically remember getting kidnapped. I remember walking home from work, but I don't remember arriving there. I must have been taken somewhere on my route.

I leaned back into a tree as a shaky breath entered my lungs, how was I so careless as to get abducted? How little attention was I paying to my surroundings that I allowed two guys to grab me and steal me?

Shaking my head, I focused on the task at hand: Finding my way home. I needed to get home so Owen knew I was okay. Sure, it couldn't have been more than 9 hours from the time I was taken, but that is enough time for anyone to start freaking out about someone they care about going missing. And I'm sure the police wouldn't take him seriously unless he had evidence I was taken or I had been missing for longer than a few hours.

I pushed myself off the tree and continued on my way towards what I could only hope was home. To Owen.