Chapter 49

Markus

Letting Cheyenne go was difficult, but I know it is the best thing for her. She would be safe away from werewolf threats unless she is ready to accept our bond.

I've already thought about Konnor, and I have search parties looking for him. But I will plant a couple of fighters near Cheyenne to make sure she's okay. I need to know she's alright, even if I can't be there myself.

~~~

Cheyenne

Walking through the woods was starting to get to me. I hadn't seen anyone on the road for a long time, so I questioned both the time and where I was. Did the two men leave me here, or would they have circled back? Could I risk walking on the road now? I would be able to move at a much faster pace.

I decided to walk next to the tree line, but not a few feet away directly on the road. This way, if I saw a vehicle, I could either hide or decide to let them see me.

After walking for what felt like hours, I came across an intersection. I read each of the road signs, hoping to find one I recognized. However, I didn't recognize any of them. I stood at the corner of a four-way intersection and looked at the options in front of me.

I could turn around, though that wouldn't make much sense unless my abductors had decided to drive back towards where they had stolen me from.

I could continue straight, an obvious choice, middle of the road, with no extremes.

I could go left, which seems like the worst choice, as the road quality was higher than I remember any road leading to the city having. However, if I was far enough away, that wouldn't really matter.

But, my gut was saying to go right. It was a bit nicer than any road attached to the city that I had been on, but I also hadn't seen anyone driving out here, so it just hadn't been worn down as much, but it still got more use than the road to the left and straight. I went with my gut, and took the right turn, retreating back to the tree line once I didn't need to see the road signs anymore.

I kept walking, and after I had passed yet another intersection, deciding to go straight on this one, I started to hear a bit more noise. It sounded like it was echoing through the trees, but it got my hopes up. If I could find people, I could get home.

I paused, stopping the noise my own footsteps were making and focusing on the distant noises. I could hear cars starting up and the faint sound of people talking, from this distance it sounded as if they were whispering. The sudden boom of an engine revving from the trees on the left side of the road, the side opposite to the one I was walking on. The sudden noise had me flinching backward into a tree and then waiting, for something. For anything to happen.

When the noises continued as they had before the powerful engine, I quickly made my way towards the road and across it. No one had been down the road since I had been walking along next it, which was worrying as well as suspicious, but I did not have the time to waste stressing about that. I had to see what was making the noise.

I knew that I could be walking into exactly where the men wanted me to go, but that would be a huge coincidence, as I had made two choices at intersections that they couldn't have predicted, right?

I away shook the thoughts that whatever lay beyond the trees was a trap and approached the distant sounds, which grew stronger with every step I took.

I had to do something with myself before I got even more lost, or worse, kidnapped again.

I felt a deep breath enter my lungs before I dived into the trees, deciding that whatever waited for me on the other side of them had to be better than possibly starving to death on the side of the road.

Darkness almost immediately consumed me, and I had to steel my nerves to keep myself from jumping back into the light. The trees on this side of the road were much thicker than the side I had been walking on, and the leaves blocked out almost all of the sunlight. I took another deep breath, this one coming out rather shaky, and I continued on towards the noise.

~~~

It was slow-going. I couldn't see much in front of me. You never would have guessed it was daytime until a short breeze swept through and shifted the leaves enough to let through some light. I had to go slowly, or else I would have tripped more times than I could count.

I had already stumbled and tripped into a tree and jammed my knee into it. My hands felt scraped up enough that they might have traces of blood on them, but I couldn't tell without a proper light source.

The closer I got to the source of the noise, the more I could make out from what I was hearing. I heard car doors opening and shutting, as well as people talking, but there were too many trees disturbing the sound waves for me to properly make out what they were saying.

I paused, why would so many car doors be shutting? It wasn't like that was the only noise, but it was happening rather consistently, and I was trying to figure it out before I got too close to it. What could it be?