Chapter 31

Cheyenne

With Markus climbing up the tree I was running out of time. I wiped the tears from my eyes and took a deep breath, I couldn't afford to panic now.

Carefully, I hanged, dropped, and hopped my way down the tree, getting closer to Markus but not directly heading towards him. I did not look at him, I was too busy trying to calm myself down; he scared the hell out of me.

Instead of stopping where he was, I continued to the bottom of the tree where I immediately sat down with crossed legs and leaned forward, putting my head in my hands. He was so going to yell at me.

His feet hit the ground about four feet away from where I was sitting with a loud thud, making me flinch away from the noise. I could hear him sigh from where I was and when his feet started coming towards me I stood up and backed away from him faster than I had ever moved before. At that point my eyes had started watering again and my body was shaking uncontrollably.

My hair was everywhere, I wasn't sure why I hadn't pulled it up and out of my face earlier, when I had had the chance, but I wished it was tied back then. I probably looked like a nut case, and I was, but who wouldn't be? Markus was all over the place with his attitude and it had me on edge.

"Cheyenne," Markus sighed and stretched his arm toward me, "Come here."

I clenched my teeth together and shook my head, taking more steps backwards and away from him.

"Cheyenne, now," he spoke, as if he was angry enough to rip someone's throat out.

I shook my head vigorously, took a few more steps backwards. Then I turned away from him and sprinted as fast as I could go.

The forest was right behind me, so that's where I went. I was soon surrounded by trees on all sides, weaving between them and ducking under branches.

I felt faster than the last time I had found myself running through the woods, and I guessed that it was from being genuinely terrified at the moment I decided to run.

I got quite far from the tree, and was continuing to put distance between myself and that house, but then my hair decided to get in the way. It decided to get tangled around a thin branch.

It broke off the tree, and swung around to hit me in the eye, making me trip and tumble to the ground.