Chapter 46

Cheyenne

Markus' forehead found mine once again, and his eyes met mine. He appeared eerily calm, and his eyes seemed to stare straight into me. His piercing eyes rattled me for a reason that I could not explain, it may have been that something so calm did not seem to fit into my sea of nervousness, or that his eyes somehow reminded me of Owen's caring eyes.

After a few more moments of eye contact, Markus shut his eyes and leaned more into my forehead. He seemed to be debating something, or possibly remembering something, based on the awkward angle of his face I could actually see. I wanted to know what was going through their minds, but I couldn't even ask what was going on. They would either tell me or not, but I had no input on anything since I was somehow frozen in place.

All I could do was wait it out.

Almost immediately after that thought, the pain started. It was like someone was shooting ice into my skull through my temples. Goosebumps spread over my entire body, and the painful freezing sensation spread throughout my entire skull. It was like brain freeze on steroids.

As the feeling got more intense, images started to flash through my mind. At first, they were just images, then they started to flow and connect together, and they began to make more sense. Somehow Markus was sharing his memories with me.

~~

Markus

With my forehead pressed against Cheyenne's, I was focusing on recalling the memories I wanted to send to her.

This action was typically done in reverse, extracting memories, and was done on prisoners or fugitives that were suspected to have knowledge of the other sides' actions during times of war. There hasn't been a need for it in many years, but the knowledge of it has been passed down from generation to generation for emergencies. While this wasn't necessarily an emergency, I did screw up pretty badly, and I needed an out. Cheyenne deserved a way out of this.

The knowledge of sharing memories was not the only thing passed down. So was the knowledge of how to hide someone's memory from themselves. This meant that I could take Cheyenne's time here and put a veil over it; I just had to put a trigger on it, someway for her to recover her memories.

~~

Cheyenne

Werewolves. Blood. Fighting. Pain.

Flashes of it all clouded my mind.

But one thing kept coming back. Love.

Markus was without his mate, and he had to find her soon. For some reason, he was on a time clock. Everyone else knew it, too. And, I was his mate?

Flashes of how he kept looking for his mate, how he randomly stumbled upon me one day, and how he waited for me. He watched me. He was the guy I threw out of the club. He was the one that I saw outside my college. Shit, how did I not put this together before, he stalked me! A shudder went through my body at the thought. Having someone watch you without you realize it is too disturbing for words.

And then there was his feeling of desperation when I was taken by Konnor, his fear of losing me, and his love for me. I denied him at every opportunity, rightly so, but he still loved me. He had faith that I would eventually love him back (Stockholm Syndrome much?).

I got flashes of his jealousy when he saw me be nice to others in the house and felt his internal anguish when he had snapped out of his rage and realized he had almost strangled me to death. (Man, we've had some shitty times.) 

But he mostly showed me his feelings he felt when I was in danger, like when I was in a coma and he couldn't do anything about it or when he got a video of Konnor torturing me - which I didn't even know he received.

Markus' memories slowed down and eventually stopped, and the pain melted away from my skull. We were both breathing heavily and he leaned back and I carefully opened my eyes. He was still close to me and looked as if he was just taking a break, but not yet finished sharing memories with me. 

He opened his eyed and they met mine. I felt like I knew him a substantial amount compared to before, but it was forced on me. Even so, it made me understand more of his actions after he kidnapped me. Kidnapping me made no logical sense, and neither did strangling me, so I can't say I support him, but he makes a bit more sense.

~~

Markus

As a leaned back and looked at Cheyenne, I felt as though there was more kindness in her eyes than before. I was sure I was reading her wrong, it was probably just how exhausted she was from the process of me sharing my memories with her, and I refused to believe she could even understand why I had done the things I had done. Because that would mean there was hope for us, and I could not have risked that thought in my mind. Who knows what would have happened if I had believed that.

I let our moment of eye contact last for a few seconds, so our breathing could calm down as much as possible before I pressed my forehead back against hers. I had one more job to do: put a veil over her memories. 

As I began to shield her memories from her access, her entire body immediately flinched back away from me. My eyes immediately shot open and I lifted my head from Cheyenne's to make eye contact with Jason and Antonio. She wasn't supposed to be able to move while under the stalling charm.

This didn't make sense, why was she just able to move?

I paused, looking at Jason and Antonio, and waited to see if she would move again. Instead of moving she just sat there with her eyes squeezed shut, as if they had been frozen too. Jason, Antonio, and I exchanged eye-contact, and Antonio shrugged his shoulders. I was stumped, but the contact between the three of us hadn't been broken, so the spell should have been intact. It must have been a fluke.

I pressed my forehead back against Cheyenne's, and went back to locking away her memories. She didn't make any movements this time, except for the occasional twitch of her hands. I went in chronological order, from the moment I first made contact with her, I began locking away any memory of her having contact with me. It was not as if I was erasing her memories, but rather it was like I was putting a sheet over them. In order for her to access them, she had to come into contact with the trigger that I assign to the lock on her memories. 

Kidnapped By My MateOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara