Chapter 15: Denial

Maricar stopped in front of the computer lab's door, opened it and looked around.

She just walked for three flights of stairs to reach the laboratory and she was panting a little.

Every student she passed by knows who is the person she's seeing with. Pierre is from their department and he's tangled with an issue with Maricar. It's clear that the only person she would visit is him.

Her eyes saw Pierre at the corner unit of the laboratory. She went beside the man who looked troubled, staring on the computer screen.

Maricar quickly turned off the screen and scolded him, “I told you, don't read what's on the forum! Can't you understand?!”

Pierre looked at the angry woman with sad eyes. The woman's face suddenly lightened.

“Will you hate me for being broke?”

Maricar was astonished with his question. She don't know what to answer. In her mind, anything bad to reply would make him more distant. He might move out.

However, she started to feel civil towards him lately, since that night. That night where he accompanied her outside.

She publicly announced about her disgust on dating poor guys. He might've read that. The girl can't afford to make Pierre turn his back on her.

The guy sighed loudly and mumbled, “Nevermind. We're living in different worlds. I shouldn't have broken your rules.”

Maricar felt like a bad person. Pierre's comment made her heart crumbled. But she doesn't want to show that she cared about it. Until she realized something.

‘Why should I be guilty about what I said? I'm not trying to date him! These people could say anything but between us, there's no romantic relationship that exists.’

She snickered and slapped the guy's head. He gasped in pain as she yelled.

“So stupid of you! Why would you feel bad about being broke? What? Do you want to date me?! You like me already?!”

Pierre saw how quick she thought about it. He wanted to play around, however Maricar beat the bush before things could escalate further. The only thing shook him was her last two sentences.

He denied it and replied, “Why would I dare to? I-I don't have romantic feelings for you.”

‘Deny all you want.’ the woman said in her mind.

Maricar cleared her throat and asked a different question, “You still have class?”

Pierre nodded and declared that he has classes until three o'clock in the afternoon. Then he asked why she asked him that question.

Maricar replied with another question while looking away, “You're cooking tonight?”

“You're eating?”

“So many questions! Just cook something tasty. I'll send you money to buy ingredients. I'm leaving.” Maricar left like nothing happened. As she walked away, his mouth was half-open.

It was Pierre's first time hearing her ask to cook for dinner. An honor for him but he kept everything in his mind as she was still inside.

After closing the door, he chuckled and placed both of his palms behind his head. He felt lightweight, thoughts on the possible dish later.

‘What should I cook for tonight? A saucy one would be great.’

As he was thinking about the dinner, his dorm mates bursted inside the laboratory. Their faces were both angry and confused.