Chapter 10 - Fine

Liam Hastington

"I brought you lunch!" She bursted into my office room with two lunch boxes. Since she knew my schedule, she decided to fill all my free time by showing up.

"I'm not hungry."

"That's ridiculous, husband." She sat before me and put all the lunch boxes on my table. She put all the documents to the side, opening all of them, revealing sushi rolls, chicken katsu, salad, and a tiramisu cake.

"I don't like tiramisu cake."

"You'll eat whatever I make you, so shut up." She smiled as she gave me chopsticks, a spoon, and a fork. I grabbed the first sushi roll and ate it.

"It's okay. Not better than Nobu." I said bluntly, and she didn't say anything about my comments. My chopsticks grabbed her chicken katsu and ate it.

"Too crispy." And again, she didn't say anything.

"The salad is too sweet." I pointed after tasting it.

"The tiramisu is also too sweet." She just kept looking at me without saying anything. After I was done eating, she wrapped everything up, and I looked at her so confused.

"Eat dinner at home, and I have a private chef coming." She said and proceeded to walk over to my seat. She gave me a peck on my lips, "I love you. See you at dinner." I looked at her, annoyed, and she waved goodbye to me before walking out.

My day was filled with multiple surgeries and consultations. I ended my shift at eight pm and went home because Alyssa had a private chef coming.

When I stepped into my apartment, I was greeted with a hug. She kissed me on the cheek and grabbed my arm, leading me to the kitchen, where a chef awaited us.

"This is Chef Kim, and he's going to cook us a delicious Korean-American fusion food." She squealed and clapped her hands.

"Do you want to change first?" I shook my head as I sat down.

Chef Kim introduced us to all the foods he'd be making, and Alyssa listened to him thoroughly. She thanked him, and he started cooking for us.

"So, how's all the surgeries today?" She asked as she pulled her hair into a ponytail.

"It's good."

"I'm going to work again tomorrow. I might get home late, but I'll visit you at lunch. I'm going to bring some takeouts, a good one!" She winked at me, and I shook my head.

"It's been a day; it felt like an eternity in hell."

"Don't be dramatic, Liam." She smacked my arm playfully, and I shook my head. "Oh! Can we go to a pet store tomorrow? I wanted to have a pet turtle!"

"They'll die in a day under your care," I said sarcastically. 

"Never mind, let's go today after we have dinner!" I'll just let her do her thing. I was exhausted, and all I wanted to do was rest.

After we ate, she immediately rushed me to the pet store. Not only did she make me go with her, but she also made me drive her instead of having Rocky drive for us. I swear to God that she's such a pain in my ass.

"Look!" She squealed, and the staff came up to her.

"They're so cute, aren't they? But we only allow people to adopt them if you take them both." Alyssa turned to me, waiting for me to say yes.

"No."

"But I want it."

"No. I'm tired." I was about to walk away when she stopped me. She held my hand and asked the staff to help her buy other things like the aquarium, the rocks, the plants, the filters, and their food.

She was so excited and even made me pay for it.

"We should name them." She said as the staff were preparing everything for us.

"Fucker one and fucker two." She glared at me for saying that.

"How about Riri and Lili?"

"Do you have to pick a name that rhymes?"

"Riri is from Aeri, Lili is from Liam." She thanked the staff when they gave me my card back. She carried the turtles and made me bring the rest.

"I'm going to bet you ten thousand dollars that they won't last a week."

"You're going to take care of them too. This is our pet, Liam." What did I get myself into?

Blake's idea suddenly popped into my mind again.

Alyssa Takada

I woke at midnight because I dreamed I was locked back inside that basement. When I saw Liam sleeping, I quickly got out of the room.

I could feel the room started to get smaller. My eyes became blurry, and my lungs felt like they were rejecting air from going in. My skin started getting itchy, so I had to scratch it hard with my nails.

I ran to the guest bathroom and turned on the cold water. I jumped inside and tried to calm myself. I started to cry, remembering what happened that night. I just wished that I had died so I wouldn't have to remember all the painful memories.

My head was still spinning, and I stopped the water. I stood there, leaning my body to the wall.

"I'm going to make you the prettiest mannequin, Aeri-chan." The voices and I screamed. "I'm going to put you on the front display," I screamed my lungs out and sat on the bathtub, hugging my own body.

"Alyssa." Liam's voice was so faint, like he called me from miles away.

"Alyssa." He suddenly appeared before me, waving his hands, trying to get my attention.

"It's me." He said over and over again. I burst into tears, and he pulled me into his arms. He picked me up and brought me to the living room. He brought out towels, wrapping them around my body.

"I'm sorry," I said as I turned to see all the mess I'd created. He didn't say anything, and he brought me a hot drink.

"Honey and lemon." He said as he handed it to me.

"Thank you." He then proceeds to bring Riri and Lily's aquarium to me. He placed it on the living room table, and I sat on the ground looking at them sleeping.

"You often have a panic attack. Do you want to tell me about it?" I looked up to him, and I shook my head.

"I'm fine. I just... I'm fine."