Chapter 41 - Divorce

Liam Hastington

I woke up with a really bad headache. I dragged myself to the kitchen to grab a bottle of cold water. What happened last night was a blur. After we ate, we ended up fucking in the bedroom and sofa. I ended up passing out on the couch.

"Fuck." I hissed.

I went to the bedroom and found nothing but an empty room. My heart dropped to the floor, and my phone rang. I grabbed my phone, and it was Rocky.

"Mr.Hastington, the divorce lawyer, will come in 5 minutes. His name is Matthew Callahan." I ended the call and dialed Alyssa's number. It went straight to voicemail.

I put on some clothes, and the doorbell rang. I opened it, and it was Rocky and the divorce lawyer.

"Good morning, Mr.Hastington. Ms.Takada sent me here to finalize the divorce papers." I gestured for him to go inside, and Rocky gave me a weird look. I closed the door and walked to the living room, where Matthew took all the papers out.

"Mr.Hastington, Ms.Takada told me she already transferred the one hundred million dollars to your account to settle the divorce. So we only need your sign here, and your divorce will be finalized." He pointed at the papers before me and handed me a pen.

"Where is she now?" I asked him as I sat down, looking at all the papers.

"On her way to Tokyo, Mr.Hastington."

My hand felt so heavy as I put it on the paper, ready to sign. My heart was racing. I've signed many contracts and deals, but this was the hardest. I was the one who wanted it, yet I can't seem to sign it.

"Please sign it, Mr.Hastington," Matthew said, and I signed it.

I fucking signed the divorce papers.

This is what I wanted right? I'm finally free.

Alyssa Takada

"He signed it, Ms.Takada. You're officially divorced." Matthew said, and I let out a breath of relief. I had just arrived in Tokyo, and I went straight to my family home, where my family was already waiting for me.

They didn't ask about my marriage because I told them I already divorced Liam and was ready to take over the company in Tokyo. My dad asked me if I needed therapy with Jasmine to continue, but I told him that I'd be fine.

After marrying Liam, I rarely talk to Jasmine. We texted often, and I slowly got better with my nightmares and panic attacks. I don't know if it'll return once I don't have Liam around me again.

I put my turtles in my room and fed them.

I took a shower to freshen up because I wanted to drown myself in work so I wouldn't cry whenever I remembered Liam. The flight from New York to Tokyo was a wreck. I called every twenty minutes to leave Liam. I left at dawn and didn't leave any trace of me.

The only thing I left was our wedding ring, which I had never touched or worn other than on our wedding day. I left it in the drawer.

I will bet all my money that Liam is now celebrating his freedom. He's probably already found someone else to fuck.

I dried my hair and put some makeup on. I looked like a zombie. My eyes were puffy, and I looked so pale. I got out of my room and went straight to the office.

In the office, I worked until eleven pm. I drowned myself with work, and if my dad didn't stop me, I would've kept going until dawn. He looked at me sadly; he had so many questions, but he never dared to ask me. I'm so thankful that he respected my decisions and gave me some space.

I continued to live my life like a robot.

"You're going to be depressed if you keep living like this." My mom said as she gave me a glass of hot tea. "You should meet up with some friends and have fun. I think you need a vacation."

"I'll be fine."

"You're not fine, Aeri. You're... you—" She was out of words.

"I know. I'll eat my feelings until this weekend. I promise I'll love my life again." I said, and she shook her head, not believing anything I said.

"I'll introduce you to Arata this weekend as a friend, not with the intention of matchmaking. He's a very nice man, and he's a lawyer. I think you both will instantly connect."

"I'm good. I think socializing is the last thing that I need." She sighed and nodded. I closed my eyes and ran my hand through my hair.

"I bet it'll take me so long to move on." I hissed.

Liam Hastington

It's been a week, and I had difficulty returning to my penthouse. It felt empty, and every penthouse corner reminded me of Alyssa. She's everywhere, even though she made sure she brought all her things.

I've been staying in the hospital or the headquarters.

"You look like a zombie," Marie said as she walked past me to throw away some of the used injections. Everyone in the nurse station turned to me, and I sighed.

"Where's Alyssa? I miss her." She asked.

"Tokyo."

"That explains." She pointed at my face, and I ran my hands through my hair. "You can't do long distance?"

"We got a divorce." Everyone looked at me like I was a real zombie. One of the nurses even dropped her sandwich to the ground.

"You're married?" Lucy, one of the doctors, asked.

"Was married."

"We thought she's your friend." She whispered, and Marie laughed, which made me raise my eyebrows at her.

"Good for her because you didn't treat her like she's your wife. She deserves better." Marie said as she grabbed some medicine from the medicine shelves.

"How long have you been married to her?" Alice asked.

"Two months." I sighed. Why am I answering all of these questions?

"Did she ask you for your money? That's why you're stressing out, right?" Lucy asked.

"You're married?" I turned to Thea, who looked at me horrorly.

"He's married," Marie said.

"To whom?"

"Alyssa."

"But he's divorced now, so you still have a chance with him." Marie mocked, and I glared at her. Marie raised her hands and walked away.

"Fucking great."