8: Frogs can Jump Higher than a Castle?

QUICK FLASHBACK TO WHEN THEY WERE VERY YOUNG

<Queenie POV>

  Today, we were in a huge room with lots of shiny things I have never seen before. I think that they were called spoons and forks. I also saw food, in colours that weren't slightly covered with dirt or mould. Mommy told me to not eat the dirty colours because I will get sick if I do it. I was waiting for Alex, when he suddenly appeared and he was sniffling.

  I hugged him and asked "Are you okay?". He just sniffled and shook his head no. We were in that position for a long time before he stopped crying.

  "Yeah. I'm okay. And, you are my best friend now. My old best friend just took my favourite book and ruined it. He restored it with magic but seeing my book like that... he didn't even apologise." and he started crying again.

  "Okay I'll be your best friend. Please stop crying." I tried to say sweetly, and I think that it worked, as he quieted down a little bit and we both stayed like that, him snuggling in me.

  The next day I learned that he told this boy that he had a new best friend now and they just weren't on speaking terms anymore.

BACK TO THE PRESENT

<Queenie POV>

  Still holding his hand, I asked him "I believe we have History of Auradon next, don't we?"

  "Yeah. The first class is interesting, as most of the time, we have the actual characters from the stories if they're still alive, such as Mulan or Peter Pan. Then we learn everything there is to know about these events and the dates, etc. It's really fun at the beginning, but we have to memorise this information and it just loses its appeal. Last time, we had Tiana come over. You should've seen the look on Torri's face when Tiana came over. She was half happy, half embarrassed."

  I was very confused. "Who is Torri?"

  "Oh right! You don't know her. I just assume that you know everything in my life, sorry... She is my other best friend. She really likes cooking, just like her mother and she works really hard, but she also balances her free time really well too. Don't ever tell her this, but I find her somewhat admirable."

  "Oh okay, am I going to meet her in this class?" And I can't deny that I felt a small pang in my chest. Has he replaced me? Am I not good enough for him? Is he embarrassed to be seen with me?

  "Probably. Unless she decided to ditch class, which she never, ever does. She takes her studies very seriously." He must've caught me not really paying attention, so he lifted my chin to meet his eyes and said "Don't ever think that you aren't my best-est friend ever Eenie, in case it was what you were thinking." So I hugged him. He returned the hug.

  After some time, he cleared his throat and said "I think that we should get going if we want to get there in time." So we picked up our books and I went into a class almost filled with Auradon kids. I saw Jay somewhere near the back, in a table by himself. I sat down at a table with Alex and who I'm assuming was Torri. Honestly, she was one of the most gorgeous people I have ever seen with perfect, dark skin and wavy, long hair. I felt the pang in my chest again and I recognised it as envy.

  I started the conversation with a simple "Hi. My name is Queenie Heart from the Isle of the Lost. My mother is the Queen of Hearts."

  "Oh hello! You must be the Queenie that I heard so much about. My name is Torri. I am the daughter of the princess and the frog, from the princess and the frog. But I'm not half frog. I hope that we can be great friends!" And with that, any negative emotion disappeared and I felt like I found another great friend. I gave her a small smile and said "Did you know that a frog can jump higher than a castle?"

  "I think that I know where this is going but, uh, nope. How?"

  "Because a castle can't jump!"

  "Wow I have never, stressing on the NEVER, heard that one before." She said sarcastically and there was a small moment of silence, with Alex looking at us back and forth, probably not knowing how to deal with teenage girls, or this kind of talk. Frankly, I didn't know how to deal with this kind of talk. Then, she put us all out of our misery and burst out laughing. "You know I think that we are going to be great friends."

  Us three got through the lesson with a light mood. To be honest, the lesson was very boring and I think that I fell asleep at one point because one moment she was talking about the very first Sultan of Agrabah, then when I closed my eyes for a moment and opened them again, she was wrapping up the class. I was very confused, but I just realised that I fell asleep. When I made eye contact with the teacher, I gave her a sheepish smile and she just looked at me unimpressed, but also unfazed, as if students in her class did this often. Auradon kids, sleeping and not paying attention in class? This was news to me.

  I actually had Maths next, without Alex. I gave him a kiss on the cheek and left him with Torri. She had Maths with me. The entire way there, we argued about whether smelling bad and not noticing or only you smelling something bad was worse. She would argue that "We should always smell clean and at least if you smell something bad, you can just ignore it."

  And I would argue that "Technically, everyone smells different and I can tell by the reactions of everyone around me. In the end, the one without me smelling something horrible would be me, so the eventual profit of the second option is bigger than the first."

  When we arrived at the class, she quickly left because she said that she wanted to use the bathroom. I was setting up for the class and checking that I brought the right book, as I heard that our teacher was very scary. Can't be worse than my mother, but still. So, I was alone near the front of the class when someone started heading in my direction. Strutting in my direction, more like. Honestly, he was very, very handsome; probably one of the prettiest people I have ever seen in my life. We made eye contact and he slowly inched toward me but then...