27: Magic Books and Tomatoes

As Fairy Godmother herself had no idea how to break this spell, she let me use her collection of books. It was a secluded and locked part of her office. It was quite cosy, but small, like the size of the average household bathroom. I brought Torri along to help me because I have no patience with non-fiction books. By the stack of novels in my room and next to my bed, I assume that I liked reading, but even when I try really hard, facts bored me to tears. Torri, apparently, had no problem with it.

  She flipped through book after book, absorbing the information. After almost 5 hours of rigorous searching, we were forced to conclude that there was no solution to this problem. "So... Did you find anything?"

  "Queenie, this is like the 100th time that you have asked me in the past hour! Have some patience, it's going to take me a long time to go through these books, and we don't even know if the answer will be in them." She sharply turned her head and her tone could cut steel.

  "You're right, I'm sorry." I said, looking down.

  "No it's okay. I'm sorry for snapping at you." She rubbed her temples and closed her eyes. "If I were in your shoes, I would be impatient too. But as I am the one doing over 90% of the actual reading, could you please, please, have some patience? Like I said, it could take weeks!" And we went back to reading.

  Fairy Godmother came in some time after that, finding me sprawled on the floor, legs hanging from the chair and feet crossed, and Torri, with her reading glasses and quickly flipping through the pages. She left us a plate of sandwiches and quietly left. Before that, I shot her a grateful smile to show that we appreciated it.

  Then, Lexie and Flynn came in. And the peaceful silence was interrupted by the commotion.

  "Tomatoes are fruits. They have flowers, they blossom and they have seeds. Botanically speaking, tomatoes are fruits." Flynn was correct, though.

  I agreed with him until I heard Lexie's argument, "But look, vegetables are a type of plant that are considered low in fructose. Most of the time, vegetables are served as a main dish and desserts are fruits. Would you be happy if you got a tomato as dessert?" All three of us wrinkled our noses. "Exactly. And if the seed argument is true, cucumbers, pumpkins, chilli peppers and eggplants, all those things are fruits, yes?"

  "I actually think that it would depend on the type of tomato, for example, if they are one of those tiny sweet ones, they should be considered fruit and if they are the big ones that taste sour, they should be vegetables. So they should measure the average fructose and sugar levels for each and create a clear standard for all fruits and vegetables." I voiced.

  At this, Torri finally put her book down and said "Tomatoes are considered a fruit and vegetable. Now stop arguing and could you two please open a book, and start reading about the most complicated pieces of magic spells and objects to help our friend?"

  I shot her a grin. The boys effectively shut their mouths and grabbed the nearest book. As my boyfriend was here, I snuggled into him. I didn't really feel comfortable but I wanted physical contact, so yeah. I leaned into his stomach, basically sitting on his lap. I saw him grinning and Alex fuming.

  I knew those two were enemies, but I had no idea it was this bad. A tiny part of my brain asked me, 'what if Alex likes me?', but I immediately shut that part down. It persisted though, until the point where I was having a full-on debate, and Flynn noticed me not flipping any pages because I was basically inside my boyfriend. He asked me if I was okay because apparently, I have been reading the same sentence over and over again for the last 5 minutes.

  "I'm fine, go back to reading." And I gave him a kiss on the cheek. He blushed and whispered "You're like my daydream." In my ear. I saw Alex deliberately ignoring me and Flynn and a muscle twitch in his temple.

  When it was almost 10, we decided to pack it up and return to it the next day. Alex and I stayed back to clean up, when he asked me "Are you happy Queenie?"

  "I think so, why?"

  "No reason. Just checking up on you."

  "See you tomorrow then Lexie!"

  "Yeah, see you tomorrow." He almost sounded tired. He was probably tired of this entire situation too. His fights with Flynn, his friend losing her memories, and on top of that, being a king of the country. Maybe I was like a nightmare, dressed like a daydream. What if I'm the one causing all these unnecessary emotions between the boys? Or maybe I'm self-centred and overthinking? Or making this situation about me?

  When I went back to my dorm, I picked up my guitar for the first time since I lost my memory, not to remember, but to create.

  I made a song about a world where I can be self-centred or uncaring about others' feelings. I made a fictional world where I can be selfish, and I titled it 'Blank Space'. It was actually called that because all I have is a blank space in my head. Absolutely nothing.

(Ignore the Turkish Subtitles, I'm sorry...)

  It almost took me the entire night, because it was a tricky piece and one of the hardest that I have worked on. Audrey wasn't sleeping either, so I think that it was fine. I think that she was warming up to me. She didn't throw a dirty glance in my direction the entire night! I'm not sure what on earth she was doing that made her miss sleep, but she did it anyway. None of my business.

  I wonder what do people think at night? Do they reflect on their day? Think random thoughts? Just not think?

<Alex POV>

  I was basically in pain. I was in my bed, and in pain. Partially from Ben's snores -from which I knew that he was exceptionally tired today-, but also the fact that I thought that I had a chance, then my least-favourite person came and ruined everything. I don't think that he was using her and she said that she was actually happy. That's the most that I could wish for her. But why was I hurting so much? Why was everything tiring and hectic? I would do anything to end this madness.

  I have a cool personality, I was completely fine until Eenie showed up. Now I'm protective, jealous, mad, irritated one second, then giddy, happy, content, excited, comfortable then next. I have turned into the typical teenage boy filled with hormones and drama. Oh the shame!

  I'm like this now, reflecting on my behaviour, but I can't control it around Queenie, as much as I want to. I want her to feel the same as me. I wanted her. But she doesn't want me.