11: The Best Detention of My Life

The first class of the morning was chemistry, which I was not looking forward to. According to everyone else, this class is dull, hard and the teacher is cynical. On top of that, I didn't get any sleep last night from reading the whole time so I was very drowsy. I somehow made my way to my first class with no interaction with Audrey. I think that she is slightly disgusted with me. I couldn't care less.

  It was pleasantly warm in the class, and I sat next to Alex, who was concentrating on the lesson. I honestly think that I drowsed off during it because the last thing I knew, I saw a blurry Evie and Doug conversing and I snapped back into attention when a set of knuckles rapped on my head.

  It was Mr. Deley. I was irritated because it was a really good sleep but I thought that I deserved it when he said "Queenie Heart, we do not sleep during class in Auradon. Detention!".

  But when he added "And Alexander Beast, I expected more from you. If your partner is sleeping, do wake her up. Detention for you too. You two will clean the beakers that we have used in class today."

  I wanted to protest, but the bell rang and everyone rushed out. Mr. Deley gave me a look that clearly said 'if you even open your mouth, there is more where it came from'. So I shut my mouth and stomped over to collect the beakers. Alex was doing the same; but with a whole lot more grace. I was quite refreshed from my nap, so I had a lot of energy.

  "You know, you don't have to feel too bad about landing yourself and me in detention. He is famous for giving out detentions for the most stupid reasons and even if only you got detention, I would've volunteered to join you." Alex said. That kind of warmed my heart.

  "I'm sorry anyway. And bedsides, who told you that I was sad about getting detention? This is all a part of life and a life experience that I absolutely have to try. Imagine, if I came to Auradon, and I have gotten no detention?"

  "Queenie Heart, you have such a unique perspective on the world." He stared into my eyes and I froze what I was doing and looked back. I think that my heart skipped a beat and thudded, then restarted.

  "Come on, race to see who can clean faster?" I recovered and threw at him.

  "I can never say no to a challenge!" And that's how we spent the next 5 minutes, washing and drying, occasionally pushing each-other with our wet hands to slow the other down. In the end, we were soaking, but the beakers were squeaky-clean. We each counted and he victoriously announced "I have won. Point, Alex!"

  "But I'm a girl. Point, Queenie!"

  "And I'm a prince. Point Alex!"

  "Well, I'm prettier than you. Point, Queenie!"

  He chuckled and said "In your dreams!"

  "I can sing too."

  "Urghhhh, fine, I lost. I cannot beat your singing skills."

  "Why thank you!"

  With that, I gave him a kiss on the cheek and we both left the class to go to our respective classes. It was home economics. Apparently, today's work was going to be done in pairs. I sat down somewhere near the middle, where I wouldn't attract attention and hoped that people were too intimidated by my parents to sit next to me. My luck was all out, however, when Flynn casually plopped down next to me.

  I tried to switch seats, but there were none left. The one class that I didn't have either Torri or Alex in, in a very sleep deprived and irritated state which Lexie got me out of momentarily, sitting next to Flynn Arrogant Fitzherbert was the worst scenario that I could think of.

  I think that I jinxed it when the teacher said "Okay class. This is technically the first time that you had to sit with partners in this class, but I hope you chose them wisely, as they will be your partners for the rest of the year!". That's the one. Maybe, now, mother will come in and brutally murder everyone here. Then trap me in a basement, never letting me eat desserts again. The horror! The desserts, not the murder. I mean, it's bad, but the desserts though...

  I was snapped out of my train of thought when Flynn said "Hello. I believe that we should introduce ourselves more properly. My name is Flynn Fitzherbert. You must be Queenie hearts, daughter of a famous psychopath? Remember, your words, not mine.". And he had the audacity to give me a wink. A wink? What in Hades? What is wrong with this boy?

  I swallowed my disgust and answered "Well, we are going to basically be together for the rest of the year, so, hello. My name is Queenie Heart." And we shook hands. As the class progressed, we had to interact and work on something together. I realised throughout the class that we had a very bad beginning; he was rude and I was the same. I was the same as the Auradon kids I hated so much, the ones that immediately judged me since they first laid their eyes on me. So I tried to be polite and he reciprocated.

  The class ended, and we ended up acquaintances. Nothing more, and nothing less. It was extreme progress, judging by my personality and the horrifying start we had. I think that he might one day make a good friend.