32: Depressed and Exhausted but Okay

Mnemosyne looked astounded. It seemed that nothing of this sort happened before. But to be honest, if the river of memory that only dead people knew about and a titaness of memory being here with me didn't work, I wasn't sure anything would. Why would it not work for me? What is the problem here? What spell would have been bestowed upon me so powerful?

  I felt tears streaming down my face and -huge shocker- I was crying. It wasn't the princess crying either. It was the real, actual crying that consisted of a runny and blocked nose, tears coming out from every part of your eye and your breath getting shorter and shorter. I felt Mnemosyne pat my back, probably unsure what to do.

  "I'm sorry Queenie Heart. I believe that there is nothing that I can do now."

  "Thank you anyway. Can I go back to my friends?"

  "Of course." And we were transported right back to where I used to be. My friends, Alex and Torri seemed extremely glad and happy to see me, then their faces immediately turned gloomy the moment that they saw me crying.

  "Alexander Beast and Victoria DiMaldonia, I am sorry to tell you that it didn't work. I am not sure myself and I would have to talk to the Olympian council about this, but the conclusion is, I'm not sure if anything can bring your memories back."

  My friends' faces turned disappointed and depressed. I was shocked to find out that apparently Torri's real name was Victoria. That was a nice name. These facts I registered at the back of my head and I continued crying. I felt a pair of arms wrap around me and I looked up to see Lexie. He said "We can always make new memories. Don't be so sad Queenie."

  Mnemosyne then vanished into thin air and Torri joined in the hug too. We just sat there like that for a while and I slowly calmed down. We silently packed everything up and got into the car for a very silent ride back home.

  I, being exhausted from crying my eyes out, fell asleep the moment that I sat down on the very comfortable car seats. Torri and Lexie were up front, probably to give me some space to work things out, or sleep comfortably.

  I think that Alex was driving all night and I slept all day because when I officially opened my eyes, we were in Auradon Prep and it was night again. I basically missed an entire day due to sleeping.

  So of course when we came out, Alex was dead tired and Torri and I were completely awake. We helped -carried, more like,- Lexie to his room and left him on the bed. Ben was sleeping and it was hard trying not to wake him up. We somehow managed, or he was a very heavy sleeper because Lexie was no feather.

  Since Torri and I were both wide awake, we decided to discuss what had happened in the kitchen with tea and snacks.

  While Torri baked the cake and put ice-cream on it, I told the entire story while brewing tea. Of course, without the part of going to the river Mnemosyne. I was very vague on that part, saying that the titaness told me not to talk about it too much.

  "So you're telling me that the only and most reliable way, the fail-safe way, basically, failed. And we have no idea how."

  "Yup." My cold hands wrapped around the mug. It was only September and I was freezing. Maybe the after-effects of using all my energy, then sleeping for a day.

  "Do you have to live your life without your childhood memories now?"

  "Yup." I took a sip of my tea. It smelled nice.

  "How are you so okay with it?"

  "Honestly, I'm not." The oven door rang, signalling that the cake was finally done. We dug in and ate the sugary soft treat. "But from what I hear, and Alex told me, I had a terrible childhood. And it might not be too bad to leave it at that. Everything happens for a reason, maybe this was to help me."

  "That's very wise and mature. But also extremely sad."

  "Well, we did everything that we could. If the only way to get them back has failed, I don't know what to do except accept it. I shouldn't cry over these things."

  "But you should be allowed to cry if you want to."

  "And I did. Now time has come to accept it and live with it. Again, there is nothing more that we can do."

  When we finished our cakes, we cleaned up, said goodbye and left for our rooms. I went back and read books until the next morning. It was a nice time, the beginning of the rest of my life without my memory.

  The next day, I went to Fairy Godmother and notified her of the situation. I then told mother and father that my memories weren't coming back and they told me that it was fine. They knew that I knew about my rubbish childhood and they were sorry. They thought that we could have a better time together and I could be happier. While I didn't exactly like the idea, it is the best situation that you can make from this, so I was happy with it.

  My friends accepted the idea too and I was grateful for them and that they were okay with all this. Nobody should have to go through this nor have someone around you lose their memories.