34: We Have Been Idiots

After the amazing moment when Alex asked me out, we have basically been the same, showing PDA, except that we know that we like each-other. So it was one Saturday lunch about a week later when I mentioned it to him. "Lexie, how come we haven't been on a date? Can we go on one?" I was sitting on his lap, so I turned my neck and shifted my torso to meet his face. My nose was touching Alex's.

  "Good point Eenie and I don't see why not. If you don't have anywhere you want to go, can we go to the enchanted lake? You wouldn't remember it, but I told you all about the enchanted lake. It is really beautiful and its waters... its waters..."

  "Lexie?"

  "Queenie! The enchanted lake's waters can free people from spells or curses! When Mal gave Ben a love potion -she did that, by the way-, he got back to normal after swimming in the enchanted lake!"

  "Can we go now? We both don't have anything to do right?" Lexie had cleared his entire day's schedule for me. I felt really special; it was nice.

  "Get dressed for swimming, I'll borrow a car. Let's go!"

  So I ran back to my room, met Torri on the way. I just yelled "Going to the enchanted lake on a date and to break my curse!" and she looked confused. "Can I borrow a bathing suit?"

  "I have a red bikini, if you don't mind? It's a bit small for me, and I've never worn it, so it should fit you."

  "I'll take anything, especially if it is red!"

  Torri was blabbing the whole way there. "The enchanted lake? Why didn't I think of that? The solution has been right under our noses but we, I, was too stupid to realise it. Oh my god, we could have saved a lot of time and effort if we just did that! Not that I didn't enjoy camping with you, but... We're here!" She took me to her room and gave me a somewhat revealing swimsuit set and a jacket, or a robe, made of a swishy fabric that I immediately took a liking to. "Thank you!" I said with a huge smile, and ran out with the clothes.

  I got to my dorm room, changed, took one fleeting look at it -I couldn't wait to have my memories back, and I'm giddy on top of that because it is a date with a person that I love- and left for Alex's dorm.

  "Lexie, I'm here!"

  "Okay, I'm completely ready. Are you ready?"

  "Yup." We joined our hands and we walked over to the borrowed car, elated and giddy. I wished with all of my heart that this would work. Lexie opened the door for me, like a gentleman. We made small talk on the way there. Lexie had apparently brought snacks with him, and it was going to be really fun!

  I was twirling across the swinging bridge with no fear that I was going to fall. Lexie was watching me with an amused expression on his face and sometimes joined me in pirouetting, laughing.

  When we got there, I was taken by the sparkly lake. The water shimmered against the afternoon sun like what could only be described as liquid diamond. "Queenie, do you have any last words before you get your memories back?"

  "You know what? I'm glad that I lost my memory, because if I didn't, I probably would still be with the jerk."

  "Anything else?"

  "I have something that I want to say, but I'll tell you if this works." I was going to tell him that I loved him. It might be a bit early, but I have established this fact a long time ago.

  We both took off our jackets and stood in our swimming suits. I noticed Alex staring at me, and I, him. He had such a beautiful body. I really loved him so much.

  I gave him a final smile, and slowly walked into the cool-ish water. Step by step, I got in it until the water was up to my shoulders. Then I took a deep breath, dipped my head into the water and stayed in there for as long as possible. The water currents were swirling around my arms and legs. It felt pleasant, but I felt no change.

  I came out of the water, feeling like crying again. "Queenie? Eenie? Do you have your memories back?"

  "I don't think so. Can you ask me a question, just in case?"

  "Umm... What was the song that you first set to guitar chords after I gave you the acoustic guitar?"

  "I don't know..." I said in a very quiet voice. And then I burst into tears. "I can't take it anymore Lexie. It's just false hope, then nothing really happening. I thought that I gave up, but turns out, I still had some hope. Disappointment after disappointment; tell me what to do, please." I said while sobbing.

  Alex leaned down close to me and hugged me. He continuously kissed my forehead while doing so. I felt a little better. I gave him a little smile and said "I'm so grateful to have you as my boyfriend."

  "And I'm glad to have you as my girlfriend. Do you want to eat?"

  "Okay." And we had some cake and fruit. They were really good. Our stomachs were full, so he suggested in a careful tone "Do you want to try swimming? The water here is amazing, as you would have felt when you were in."

  "Let's go." I was still depressed, but this was our first date, and I'm going to have plenty of time to be miserable, but a first date doesn't happen again. We climbed up to the top of the waterfall, and we jumped together.

  The rush of adrenaline, the swooping sensation in my lower torso and the satisfying splash made me feel happy again. At least for a little while. Alex swam over to me and we went to the top of the waterfall again. My hair was plastered to my body, arms, shoulders and face, so Lexie picked them off. He looked into my eyes and I swear, he could see my soul.

  He leaned in closer to me. Cupped one cheek with his hands and one supported my back. My hands wrapped around his neck and I brought his head closer to mine before our lips touched.

  Our lips moved together in harmony and I literally felt sparks fly. My brain was spinning, dizzy, and the adrenaline and swooping sensation was back, multiplied by a thousand. The butterflies in my stomach made it feel like it was going to explode. I felt lightheaded now and my ears were throbbing.

  When Lexie pulled back, I whispered "Safe and Sound. The song that I first set to guitar chords was 'Safe and Sound'." I heard Lexie saying something, but I didn't hear as the world went black.