21: I Remembered it All Too Well...

Since the coronation of Alex and Ben, not enough happened in the span of the year. Flynn got his anti-love potion and to be honest, he has been acting quite differently since then, somewhat distanced and closer at the same time... Like he's really careful with me. Where's the boy who I am now proud to call my friend? The boy who punched Chad when he was being rude to me last year?

  The year commenced, I got medium grades, some higher than average, some lower. All except music, which I was proud to say, I got an 'A'! Then, the only eventful things that happened was Mal dyed her hair blonde and Evie started a clothing line. Jay joined ROAR, a crossover between sword fighting and parkour.

  Alex was busy all the time, as he now had kingly obligations. Whatever that was. Honestly, I don't want to get involved with those things. I am happy to say that he is still able to spare some time for me though. I don't think that he likes being a king much. He complains about it quite a bit, but goes on with it, as it is his duty.

  Mother was returned to Wonderland and her former position as Queen. I don't know what everyone was thinking, but if Fairy Godmother, father, and the King and Queen of Auradon are reassuring me that she is going to be fine, I believe them, but I am sceptical. Based on the woman that I grew up with, I don't think that she is fit to rule a kingdom, but that's just my opinion, I guess...

  Anyway, Mal, the future lady of the court, decided to run away to the Isle of the Lost because she couldn't handle the pressure, I think? She just got back, I believe. I was running this through my head during a silent dinner with Torri. Lexie suddenly plopped in next to me and snaked his arm around my waist. I stole his dessert today, it was a cookie. Actually, maybe not. I placed it back on his tray, and understanding the joke, us three had a hearty laugh.

  Then, something unexpected happened. "Queenie, can I talk with you?" Flynn, asked out of the blue, appearing out of nowhere, after basically not interacting with me enough to say that we are friends, for a few months now.

  "Sure, now?"

  "Yeah, can you follow me?" I got out of Lexie's vice grip and followed Flynn. Alex slightly shook his head and I gave him a look that clearly said 'be nice'.

  I followed him to a nice, shady area near the end of the tourney pitch. I realised that this was the same place that Flynn had asked me out the first time. My palms started sweating and I slightly rubbed them off my jeans. I sort of expected what was coming.

  Flynn, again, got down on his knees. " I asked you out, under this very tree, almost a year ago. You told me that you will give me one chance, just one date. I believe that you enjoyed it. For those few days, I was truly happy. I don't think that it was the love potion that made me so happy. Since I saw you, I thought that you were beautiful and feisty, except that I already had a girlfriend. My parents first met with a fight too, but as they went on adventures together, they fell in love. Like my parents, I think that we are meant to be together. I told you that I will change your mind, that I will woo you one day, and that I want to go out with you because you are amazing, funny, sweet and sarcastic at the same time, beautiful, truthful, genuine, vulnerable and strong. Will you prove me right and go out with me? And be my date for Cotillion?"

  "Can I have a day to think it through?"

  "Take all the time you need. I don't feel the need to rush into a relationship."

  "Thank you." And I almost bolted out of there. I ran back to Alex and into his arms. I loved snuggling in him. He smelled like, well, Alexander Maurice Beast. "Flynn? Did he ask you out again?" Torri simply raised her eyebrows as she said this.

  I just nodded. "How do you two know these things?" Alex mumbled with an astonished undertone.

  "I see her seeking physical reassurance, like she tends to do when something is stressful. When she hugs you, it's something really emotional. She doesn't really hug me unless I am feeling emotional. Judging by the way that Flynn looked at her when she left with him, he probably has feelings for her, and they left in the direction of the tourney field, he was asking her out, in a memorable place, also known as the place where he first asked her out."

  "Have you ever considered being a profiler?" As Lexie spoke, his chin that was resting on my head moved and I experienced a minor discomfort.

  "It's one of my 'considering' list."

  "I think that you will thrive in whatever you decide to do." I murmured.

  "Thank you Eenie."

  "You two will always be my best friends, right?" I asked for reconfirmation.

  "Of course!" They replied in unison. While the prospect of being friends with Alex and Torri forever sounded like one of the best things that I can ask for, I didn't just want to be friends with Lexie, I wanted to be more.

  But with that confirmation and some mulling over it before bed, the next day, I marched up to Flynn and told him 'yes'. I know enough about the world to know that having feelings for someone who just wants to be my best friend, will end in heartbreak. He seemed overjoyed, kissing me on the cheek and yelling "Thank you for making my predictions come true!" at what seemed to be the top of his lungs. I have never seen him so excited, love-potioned or otherwise.