28: Mood Swings and Baking

<Queenie POV>

  I woke up happy, for a moment. Then life rushed back into me. Then memory loss, reality, mistakes, feelings all hit me hard. I was lying on my bed, not enough energy to move. I wanted numbness, and I realised that this was a mood swing. Perks of being a teenager, I guess.

  I didn't want to move and thought nothing, or rather closely examined the ceiling, blanket and everything else near me. It was quite peaceful. By the time lunchtime came around, Audrey randomly dragged Alex in with her and said "She was like this when I left her in the morning, I thought she was just tired, because she spent the night playing her loud guitar, but she barely moved since this morning." I didn't even bat an eye in their directions. I didn't have the energy, will or interest to.

  "Hey Queenie?" I turned my head a fraction of a degree at this, and made this weird noise with my throat to continue.

  "Can you get out of bed for me?" I turned my head back to its original spot.

  "What's wrong with her? Doesn't she usually jump at the sight of you?"

  "Not always,"

  "Whatever. Deal with her." I didn't think that this was a way to treat her king, but he didn't seem to mind, and looked concerned, from the corner of my eye. Technically, my behaviour was also not appropriate for the king of the country that I am living in, but I couldn't bring myself to care. He dragged a chair over and sat down next to my bed, grabbed my head by placing his hands on both sides of my head, and jerked my head to face him. He was squishing my cheeks.

  "Are you okay?" I made another noise with my throat. It might sound like approval or disapproval depending on the person.

  I don't know if you remember this song. You sang it for me in our childhood, saying that if you were scared, angry or generally feeling negative emotions, you would sing this. Then he proceeded to sing "Absolutely nothing's wrong, nothing's wrong, nothing's wrong, I'll be fine at the end of the song, so I'll just sing along", in tune to 'Mary had a little lamb'.

  I had a very weird feeling about that. Like a strong urge of nostalgia, pain and fear, but also calmness rushed over me. Overwhelming is an underrated word.

  And with that, Alex started telling me about my entire life. As much as I appreciated the effort, I remembered nothing. I felt nothing except these rushes of certain emotions. I just didn't want to move, so I watched him, my head still in the position that it was moved in.

  I was scared of the things that Alex told me. I lived in harsh conditions, with an almost abusive parent. I was shocked that the lovely, fair woman that I met, who said was my mother, would be the same person. But it explains a lot, as she actually didn't know too much about me. We had a connection, in our dreams apparently, but it ceased to exist now, only connecting us once since I stepped foot on Auradon.

  When Alex had finished his recap, I was listening, slowly gaining my will to move again. There was a few minutes of silence as I processed the information, and then I got out of bed and said "I am suddenly craving a cookie. Do you want to help me make a batch?"

  "Sure. Let's go." And we dragged our legs that had fallen asleep out of my dorm room. We got to the kitchen and made cookies. I made chocolate chip cookies, like he had described me in the story of my life. He made chocolate cookies; the batter was chocolate, there were chocolate chips, and chocolate chunks. To be fair, I thought those looked even better until I got a bright idea to put melted chocolate, or chocolate syrup in the cookies. My cookies looked a bit more appetising now.

  We were baking in silence the entire time. When we put the cookies in the oven and were washing our hands, Lexie tried to lighten the mood. "Why did the cookie visit the dentist?"

  "Why?"

  "Because it needed a chocolate filling!"

  "Oh... Because I filled my cookie with chocolate... I get it, good joke."

  "Why thank you." And he gave me a little bow.

  "I want to talk, but I don't know what to talk about. How does one respond to these situations?"

  "Well, I have never met anyone who had a similar situation, so I can't say."

  "Do you want to take the cookies to Flynn and Torri? I think that they are reading magic books for me."

  "Okay." And we stood in a comfortable silence this time, waiting for the cookies. When the oven door went 'ding!', we got the cookies out, carefully put the steaming things onto a paper plate and carried them to Fairy Godmother's office. I had some on the way. They were good. We saw Fairy Godmother there, so we gave her one of each. She gratefully accepted them with a smile.

  Then, we entered the office and saw Torri comfortably looking through the books. Not any sense of urgency, just like she was reading for personal purposes, or leisure. "Oh good, you're here. I think that I found a way. I asked Mal, and she told me about it. I looked it up in these books, and there it was." She told me.

  "Really?" I asked, my eyes opening to maximum capacity, jaw slack.

  "Here's a cookie for figuring it out, Torri." Alex jokingly handed her a cookie.

  "Thanks. Still warm, nice!" She apparently thought it was good too.

  "Actually, why isn't Flynn here? I thought he was here?" I asked.

  "He told me that he was with you?" Torri asked me back.

  "Should we go and look for him?" Alex questioned.

  "Yeah, let's go. He has to know too." I replied.

  We didn't have to go too far. He was really close to the office, kissing another girl.