12: Ice Cream, the Best Dessert

Merely a week passed from that day and so much happened. First, I had my very first music lesson! The teachers were absent for my first week, and they are here now. I got to meet the renowned instrument or piano- player Roger Darling and legendary singer Ariel. I went to the lesson, this one was with no-one that I knew. I sat by myself, at the very first desk. I was extremely excited.

  "Hello class, we have an addition today. Looks like Miss Queenie Heart chose music as her extracurricular activity. Amazing choice Queenie. I am biassed, but music is the best subject there is!" Mrs. Ariel said in her soft voice.

  "I completely agree!" I enthusiastically responded, and realised how loud I said that and sank back into my seat in embarrassment.

  "Don't be shy, a loud voice is great for singing. I take it you sing?" Mr. Roger asked.

  "Yeah. I can play the guitar a bit, and I would also love to learn more instruments!"

  "Wonderful! We will start with vocal exercises, class." Mrs. Ariel said and added "Just copy what everything is doing, it's not extremely hard."

  Not to boast or anything, but I outdid everyone in that class (mental hair flip). I think that the teachers love me and I like them too. They are so nice and smart about music; I am really looking forward to spending the rest of the year, or my time in Auradon Prep with them.

  Second thing that happened was that Torri and Flynn broke up. Flynn was the one to initiate it. "You know, I would love to be friends with you, but I'm not feeling anything anymore."

  To that, I was extremely nervous about Torri's reaction, but she actually took it better than I thought that it would. On the day of the actual event, I had no idea what happened until Alex pointed it out in our History of Auradon class and then, I noticed that Torri came in late, face blotchy and tears streaming down her eyes. I felt a stab of pain in my chest, like it hurt me to see her cry. She was such a strong girl. The teacher excused her, seeing the state that she was in, and I just hugged her. She seemed to calm down throughout the lesson, and by the end, she just looked like she needed something to eat. It was thankfully the last lesson of the day.

  We just went to my room and I sat down, offered Torri a seat and said "If Audrey comes in, just ignore her. Do you need anything else? Are you uncomfortable? Are you okay with telling me the situation? Very sorry for being rude and blunt, but why aren't you crying now? Did you get over that rotten apple core?"

  "Umm... first, rotten apple core?"

  "It was the worst insult that I could think of." And I smiled sheepishly.

  "I think that I am lesbian. I actually did have some feelings toward Flynn, but I think that it might just have been admiration. When you said that Flynn, Audrey, Alex and I all looked pretty; honestly, my heart skipped a beat. I figured out that I think that I like girls. I don't have a crush on you or anything though. The reason that I am not miserable is probably because if you were dating a really pretty girl and she said 'I want to break up with you' after being with you for a long time, you would feel sad, but not for extremely long. I think that is the case for me."

  "Well, thank you so much for telling me this about yourself. By the fact that you just figured it out, I'm assuming that I am one of the first people that you have told, or even just the first. I wholeheartedly encourage you to date whomever you would like to and this doesn't change anything between us, if you're okay with that."

  "Thank you for this Queenie. You are my best friend now because sisters before misters, eh?"

  "I don't think that I can betray Alex like that but you can have more than one best friend, right?"

  "Nope! You can only have one best friend. Besides, you're going to marry Alex one day, I can see it. You're going to say 'Oh, Torri, my best-est friend and my maid of honour, you were completely right and you are the most amazing person in the world!' and I will smile and say 'I told you so!'"

  I immediately blushed and mentally pictured myself in a white dress, marrying my best friend "That will never happen."

  "The blush says otherwise."

  "You don't know why I'm blushing, don't make assumptions!" and I threw a pillow at her. She dodged it and we started a long pillow fight with the 2 I had, the cute red heart going back and forth as extra ammunition. In the middle, Audrey did walk in, but she just said "I don't even want to know," and walked right back out.

  We just stared at each other for a few seconds before giggling and started throwing pillows again.

  After the point where we were both exhausted, we had missed dinner and Alex came in, wanting to know where we both were and we said we were working things out after the incident. "Can you be a dear and go down to the kitchen to get us desserts please?" Torri asked.

  "Sure. What do you want?"

  "Ice cream. The best break-up food, and I don't think that Queenie tried it before." And Lexie left us to get it.

  "What is ice cream?"

  "It's like the whipped cream on top of pies, except colder, more flavours and melting on your tongue."

  We were just talking about insignificant things after that. When Lexie returned with the ice cream, I noticed that he also brought some cookies. "I met Mal, Evie, Jay and Carlos on my way here. They told me that the kitchen might be a bit messy. Anyway I found a cookie in the kitchen. Does anyone want it?"

  "Ooh me!" I put my hand up in the air.

  "If you just had half of this enthusiasm in school, you could easily be the most participative of any class." I just stuck my tongue out and saved the cookie for tomorrow.

  We all had ice-cream. It was the best dessert by far. It just exploded with sweetness in my mouth; the solid cakey sticky thing turned to a goo, then like a drink and swallowing was absolutely amazing and an entirely new sensation. Torri and Lexie left, and I got ready to sleep. I knocked out the moment my head hit the pillow. I didn't even notice Audrey come in.