Chapter two

_______________________________

Pollie Ashford POV

"Ok, that'll be $25 please miss." I just stopped by at Trader Joe's to grab some food for tonight. I made a vow to myself that I'd try my best to eat healthier whenever possible, but right now I'm so exhausted and just need some comfort mac n cheese. 

I got a few other groceries whilst am out, made possible by the emergency tote bag I always carry in my bag for situations like these. But as promised, I had somewhere to be and someone to see.

Thank god, he hasn't been moved on. "Sir!" I yelled, absentminded to my surroundings resulting in a few weird looks from passing strangers.

I trotted - yes trotted - a little further till I reached the homeless man from earlier. "Hey you're back?! Just like you promised." His eyes lit up as he quietly muttered to himself.

"A promise is a promise sir, and I'm not one to break that faithful oath." I began rummaging in my bag. "Now, I wasn't sure on allergies, intolerances or general preferences so I got one of each." I was beginning to get light shoves from commuters on their way home so I crouched down beside the man and set three different baguettes on his cardboard surface.

I looked up to find him already staring at me with glossy eyes. "T-thank you miss. No one has showed me this much kindness in a very long time."

My heart shuddered. It's not that hard to be a good person. "Well, you're very welcome....." I held my sentence a bit longer, inferring for him to tell me his name.

"Dale."

"Well Dale, take your pick." I smiled and jokingly presented the sandwiches.

He opted for the chicken one. "Good choice. If you're not allergic to these ones how about you keep them for later?" Something in me just wanted to see this man fed and watered. He must've been in his early fifties, and he just looked run down.

"I can't take them from you miss...." I forgot to tell him my name.

"Pollie. And yes you can because I insist. Though I have got to get going now, but here's your water." I pulled a bottle out my bag as he reached for my knee and smiled.

"Thank you Pollie, may the stars align for my dear child." I internally felt my heart clench at his words.

I put my hand on his, "And for you Dale. I'll see you around."

We said our goodbyes as I set off for home. It was early October and the skies had began to draw in a little earlier, so being a woman in a new city, I wanted to get home before dark.

And though I kept looking back to find no one there, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being watched. It's probably just something I'll have to get used to. There's so many people here, of course an anxious person is gonna think I'm being followed dumbass.

At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Eventually I got home, setting my things on the kitchen counter before pulling a stool and setting it in front of my front door.

It's become my routine to help me feel a bit more secure for when I go to sleep at night.

After showering and throwing my Mac n cheese in the microwave, my phone pinged with a message for Kehlani.