Chapter thirty

Pollie Ashford's POV

Lying is wrong.

One of the first things my mother taught me. One of the first things any parent should teach their child.

I hate liars. I always have.

White lies? Are they any different? I'd like to think so as they're used for more delicate and less impactful matters. But still, it's not the cold hard truth, is it?

I find myself wishing that Romeo had never opened his mouth and told me what he was involved in. I wish to rewind and be as naive as I was 1440 minutes ago. I wish for a lot of things but then again, I don't.

But I do stand for truth. Deceit is the devils work, and whilst I'm not religious, I certainly believe in karma.

I hate liars, but where do I find myself now?

Lying to my friend because I'm not aloud to leave the house, let alone be honest with her. How do relationships work when you're not speaking the truth?

"Yeah, I'm really sorry Lani. I just can't come out this evening, I think I've got the flu." The flu. What Romeo and the others told me to tell anyone who would try and contact me these next few days. Yes. Days.

I'm not allowed to leave the house until it's deemed safe.

Funny really isn't it? I used to think that being around Romeo was the cause of the security I felt whenever I was near to him. But now in the past 24 hours, he is the sole reason why I should always look over my shoulder whenever I walk alone.

After letting my friend down, I snuggled back under the covers of my bed. I've not left the room once since I had a meltdown against Romeo this morning. Was that the only meltdown I've had today? No. No it was not.

I keep sobbing at random moments, thinking of everything that has changed so quickly. This time two days ago, we were sat having thanksgiving dinner with my family and now I'm being held hostage by my boss. The same boss who organised said dinner with my family. Like, what?

A gentle knocking echoed throughout the room before Zero walked in, not giving me any time to answer before he invited himself into my bed.

My back was to him as I clutched my stuffed animal Sal closer to my chest. "I didn't say you could come in." I muttered in a grumpy voice as he chuckled at me.

"You also never said that I couldn't come in." Smartass.

I remained silent as did he. Only he began poking my shoulder repeatedly to get a reaction out of me. Zeros usually the more chilled out of them all but right now he's acting like Miguel.

"Stop fucking poking me before I shove that finger so far up your ass you'd need surgery!" I spouted after a full minute of him tapping on me.

His laugh shook the bed as he chortled through his words. "I'll stop when you look at me." Ugh, what is it with these men?

I pulled myself up so that I was rested against the headboard, crossing my arms after sitting Sal to the side of me. I'd changed into some comfier clothing the moment I got to my room earlier. Figured I had no one but my bed to look pretty for anyway. So much for making myself feel good.