Chapter twenty-nine

Hey guys, just a little note - with this being a Mafia story, I just wanna disclaim that I don't personally like reading about gore and violence too much because I'm a wimp. So instead, I'll tiptoe around the subject and make it seem even more unrealistically tame for a mafia book.

___________

Pollie Ashford's POV

A rush of heat drowned me from the inside out. My ears were ringing and the world seemed to slow.

"Come again?" I spoke, blinking hard to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

Miguel, Zero and Enzo all shuffled awkwardly on their feet knowing full well that it wasn't them I was addressing. Rival mob. Was what Romeo deadpanned out of his busted lips only mere seconds ago. The hell was going on?

"You heard me stell." I wished for nothing more than for him to not clarify what I didn't want to hear. Rival mob. As in illegal activity. As in gang. Criminal engagements. As in rivals. Rivals meaning that he was in a mob, or whatever the fuck you wanna call it. Fuck, does that mean they all were...

Everything was happening too fast. Five minutes ago I was wallowing on the couch, sipping on a tea whilst waiting for the guy that I have feelings for to come home safely. Only flash forward 300 seconds and everything was beginning to crumble.

I was a smart girl and wasn't afraid to state that. However, the speed of his unfounded confession definitely had me borderline confused.

I took a step back as I stared at Romeo with a blank expression. My lip quivered as I tried to get my head around the silence that was speaking volumes.

"Pollie, sit down babe." Miguel spoke to me with the air of someone who was trying to calm a wild animal before it attacked.

"Sitting down isn't gonna change the fact of what he's just said." I wasn't looking at Romeo, I couldn't. I was so lost in my own numbness that navigating his expression would be far too much for me.

My feet stumbled backwards as four sets of eyes watched my every move. "Poll, where are you going?" Zero asked with hesitance, the tone of his voice insinuating that I was gonna make a run for it.

I internally tutted. "Relax, you really think I'm that stupid to think I can run from four men in a locked apartment?" I shook my head, swallowing as walked to the kitchen.

Footsteps were heard approaching behind me but I threw my hand in the air. "Just fucking leave me alone. I need a minute."

I entered the kitchen, leaning my elbows against the cold marble countertop and dropping my head to my hands, hair falling like curtains.

What am I supposed to feel right now? I don't know how to feel right now.

It's like my mind is stuck driving into a brick wall. I want answers but then again I don't. I want clarity but not sure if that's in my best interest. But most of all, I want to feel scared but the problem is.....I just don't.

Surely there's something wrong with me for feeling that way, I mean come on. The man just told me he got beat up by a mob and all I feel is the internal fight to help him clean his wounds.