Chapter twenty

Pollie Ashford's POV

Today was a Saturday and whilst I wanted nothing more than to sleep away my woes, I have shit to do.

Almost two weeks had passed since that faithful Halloween night, and I was currently sat on my bed, hyping myself up to call my mother and be truthful about the past couple of weeks.

Thanksgiving was in just under two weeks and since I'm flying back to North Carolina to see my family, I figured I owed at least my mom some honesty.

But I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Not yet anyway.

I heard talking coming from downstairs so for two reasons, I retreated from my room to go investigate. Reason 1 - Any excuse to delay the call. Reason 2 - Ever since the guys had that meeting the other day, Romeos workload has been crazy busy. I hardly see him and when I do, he's as talkative as a zombie and is all together closed off.

It feels like he's shutting me out, which is ridiculous since I'm not sure if I was ever let in, but he seems different. I just don't know why.

Part of my choice to go see Romeo is kinda cause I've felt a little lonely lately. Again, ridiculous but it's almost like I miss him. Fuck it, I do miss that arrogant grumpy entitled yet kind and caring asshole.

I stood at the top of the stairs in my oversized Rangers sweater and black leggings, listening out for the rather heated voices coming from the floor below.

"How the fuck did this happen? This is literally the last thing I fucking needed." The voice belonged to Romeo. I crept down a little further.

"I know Rome, but there's nothing we can do about it right now. We just need to bide our time and wait for their next move." The second voice came from Enzo before I heard Zero join in.

"Your brothers right bud. It's just a waiting game. With your dad in charge, you just need to lay low for as long as it takes." What the hell are they talking about?

Hearing Romeo lash out at what sounded like a vase, I thought it time for me to stop eavesdropping and show myself to them.

Pulling at the sleeves of my sweater, I walked on eggshells as I appeared before four men - Miguel also here.

"Erm. Hi...?" I spoke shyly, not knowing if I was gonna get my head bitten off by the giant who currently had his back to me.

Through his suit jacket you could tell he was breathing heavy, like he had the whole world on his shoulders and was about to break.

"Hey Poll doll, how are you?" Zero broke the tense atmosphere as I stepped further into the room.

I nodded, tucking the strands of fallen hair from my bun out of the way. "I'm alright thanks Z." I waited a second. "Is everything ok? You guys seem a little....tense?"

Guel smiled and made his way over to me. "All peachy babe." He grabbed my arm. "Come get a snack with me." I looked over my shoulder as he tugged me along, but once I realised that Guel was clearly trying to distract me from something, I stopped my feet and pulled back.

The whole room seemed to still as I watched everyone but Romeos faces. What the hell was going on?

On instinct, I walked up to Romeo, despite the advisories of Enzo and Zero telling me to leave him be.

I stood in front of him and let out an internal gasp. With his eyes fixated over my head, avoiding my gaze, I took a moment to study him.

His eyes were almost purple with sleep deprivation, his hair a mess, his stubble turning into a beard and his clothes were creased beyond belief.