Gratitude

I slept like a baby. I woke up still in her arms. I quickly got up and she opened her eyes.

“What is it? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, I should get you ready for the day,”

“Liz…”

“Let me go get ready first,” I took a quick shower before making breakfast.

“Thank you for the delicious meal as always,”

“You are welcome,”

“Max is coming over to get me in a few. I need her to take me somewhere,”

“Okay,”

“That way you’ll get time to relax or get some work done early,”

“I always get time to relax and work,”

“I know but tonight you could catch a break from all of it,”

“Thanks...I think,” I helped her take a shower then dressed her.

“You are so strong yet so gentle,”

“What has gotten into you today?”

“Maybe the weed you smoke rubbed off on me,” I laughed out loud. “I love it when you laugh,”

I had just finished helping her put on the one shoe she could wear when a knock came. I went to get it.

“Hey Max, how are you?”

“I’m good. How are you?”

“I can’t complain,”

“Is Pat ready?”

“Yeah, have a seat let me go get her. Can I get you something to eat or drink?”

“Nah I’m good. We have to leave early,”

“Okay let me get her,”

“Who is it?” Pat asked when I went back to the bedroom.

“It’s Max, she’s here for you,”

“Great and on time too,”

“How long will you two be gone?” I asked when we got to the living room.

“Just a few hours,”

“Will you be back by one?”

“I don’t think so,”

“You don’t think so? I need a definite answer”

“There’s a high chance we’ll be back later than one,” I went and brought her fanny pack and packed her medication.

“This doesn’t go with anything I’m wearing,”

“Who cares? Your health is more important,”

“Seriously?”

“Yes, I’m serious. Max make sure she takes them please,”

“I’ll shove them down her throat if need be,”

I didn’t know what to do with all that time. I had already had enough sleep the previous night. The only employer who would give me work during the day was unavailable so I ended up watching t.v. the entire day. I found it relaxing since I hadn’t done that in a long time.

“Do you need anything? Have you had anything to eat? Did you take your meds?” I asked when I got the door for them. That was around four in the evening.

“I could use a glass of smoothie. The one you made yesterday, if there’s any left,” I got them a glass each. “These are for you,” Pat handed me a bag. She had this huge smile that reminded me of the Pat I fell in love with. There were two wrapped boxes inside the bag.