A Guest

The front door swung open and Joey and Tariq came in.

“Hi mommy,” they said hugging me.

“Hey babies. How was school today?” I asked as they put away their bags.

“It was great, we got some visitors and one of them was wearing a mini-monster costume,” Joey said excitedly. They saw their aunt.

“Hi Joey, hi Tariq,”

“Hallo aunt Suzy,” Joey said shaking her hand. Joey never liked her ever since Suzy pinched her for accidentally pouring a drink on her carpet. She took her brother’s hand and led him to the kitchen.

“Wash your hands first,” I told them.

“Yes mommy,”

“Mom,” Joey shouted from the dining room sink. “Pat said she’s getting us pizza so you don’t have to cook. She tried calling you but you weren’t picking up,”

“I think I left my phone upstairs could you please go get it for me, please honey,”

“Okay mom,” she ran upstairs and came back down with it. She then went to the kitchen and took the sandwiches I'd made for them and gave one to her brother with a cup of warm milk because it was chilly outside.

I found several missed calls from Pat so I called her back.

“Hey,” I said when she answered.

“Hey babe, where were you? I called but you weren’t picking up,”

“I’m sorry, I left my phone upstairs and forgot about it when I got a guest,”

“You never have guests around, who is it?”

“Gabe’s eldest sister came to check up on us,”

“Is that something she does often?”

“No, she also heard some disturbing news and that’s mostly why she came,”

“What news?”

“That a masculine dressed woman is often seen leaving this house,”

“That’s me right?”

“Of course it’s you. Anyway, will you be long? Should I make something else as we wait?”

“No, I’m just picking up the pizza then coming back. I promised Joey I’d help her with her homework,”

“I can do that,”

“Baby, don’t go anywhere near that book. Your patience goes from ten to zero in zero point zero two seconds,” I laughed because it was true. It was the same way with Chance.

“Okay, but hurry up so she can finish up early,”

“I will, I love you,”

“Bye,” she just laughed before hanging up.

I didn’t mind hanging out with Pat and people knowing that I was hanging out with her but a relationship was another thing.

“Have you and this woman known each other for long?” Susan asked after I put my phone down.

“Yes, long before Gabe came into the picture. I had no intention of ever getting married so she and I lived together. After a disagreement we parted ways and that’s when I got married to Gabe,”

“You sound more like a married couple over the phone,”

“Suzy, are you insinuating that I’m gay? Because I’ll be really offended,”

“That’s not what I meant…I didn’t mean it-

“I’m joking, relax a little sister-in-law, I already told you I don’t care what you think of me. Pat is going to be here in a few minutes, should I set a place for you at the dinner table?”

“I’d rather die than share a meal with the likes of her,”

“You don’t even know her,”

“They pretend to be men, act like men, dress like men and even go after women like men, what else is there to know about her?”

“Pat doesn’t pretend to be a man. She is a woman that finds men’s clothing more comfortable for her. She’s attracted to women yes, but she’s still a woman and she knows it,”

“Aren’t you scared she’ll come after you?”

“Scared? She’s not like a vampire or an animal to come after me. And anyway, if she found me attractive I’d be flattered. Being able to attract both men and women isn’t such a bad thing,”

“I can’t believe the words coming out of your mouth,”

“That’s because you and I never really got to know each other. Your brother knew me well, he knew I was open-minded and hypocrisy didn’t sit right with me. Come to think of it, I think I was a hypocrite when I was married to him. I think he wouldn’t mind it if I was living my true self. I have to set the table, shall I walk you to the door first?”

“I think I’ll finish this glass of juice first, go about your business, don’t mind me,” I went and set the table. Pat called as I was finishing up.

“Joey honey, could you get the gate for Pat? She’s waiting outside,” She ran out the door in an instant and Tariq followed her.

“Your kids are fond of her,”

“They adore her and she adores them,”

“Why are you late Pat?” Joey asked as they walked towards the door. “You are supposed to help me with my homework,”

“I’m sorry princess, they didn’t have the pizza mommy likes so I had to drive down to mommy’s favourite café and get her some fries and the fried chicken she likes so much. Could you get the door for me please?” The door swung open. “Thank you princess,”

“Mommy, Pat’s here,” Tariq said coming in first.

“Hey Pat,” I went to take the two large boxes of pizza and the bag with the fries from her but she refused and went and placed them on the dining table.

“Hey b-Liz,”

“Pat, this is Susan, Gabe’s eldest sister, Suzy, this is the angel I was telling you about,”

“It’s nice to meet you,” Pat stretched out her hand but Susan looked at her from top to bottom.

“Don’t bother, she’s scared you’ll give her the gay,” We both laughed.

“You are such a beautiful woman, why are you wasting your life like this?”

“How am I wasting my life?”

“By dressing up like a man and going after women. I’m sure you can get any man you want if you dressed appropriately,” Pat looked at me.

“Don’t look at me. I’m sure this won’t be the first time you have to deal with the likes of her,”

“Madam, this is who I am,”

“You need to repent and get saved. Only the blood of Jesus can save you from yourself,”

“I don’t doubt that,”

“Repent or you’ll burn in the fires of hell, you too for entertaining people like her,”

“I wonder what happens to the people who send away the hungry and turn their backs on those in need? What about the ones that lust over young men because their husbands are no longer functioning?” I asked Pat.

“I think we’ll all burn in the same fire,” she said.

“I’ve heard enough. I’m leaving,” she got up and took her purse,

“I thought you were going to finish your juice,”

“I’ve had enough,” she walked to the door, “I’ll be praying for you and you so you can come back to your senses,”

“I’ll be praying for you too sister-in-law,” We heard her slam the gate.