𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟖

Pandora

There's no way he isn't...

"Who?! Our soldiers may be trained for this, but they'll be easily recognisable with their inkings."Sir Pisces asks with the same intrigue as any one else in the room except for two people. One of them shows signs of shame, the other raises an eyebrow in disbelief.

"I've seen firsthand witnessed what Princess Pandora is capable of."

Of course, he's that stupid.

"She hasn't been to any public events yet, so the chances will be the lowest in her case to be recognised by any of them. She wears no marks tying her down to us either, in case of emergency."

I want to laugh at his attempt to convince these traditional High Nobles to trust me with such an important task. The information I'll bring back to them will be of primordial importance for the next steps to take. We may be a very powerful House, but no resources are infinite and with the way I see it, a war is coming up. A war for which we have got prepare out soldiers, people and resources, so now is not the time to lose lives haphazardly.

Getting back the maximum amount of land with the minimum amount of people.

"Have you lost your mind?! She's just a child who's never left her room. What can she do in the middle of mercenaries apart from swaying her hips and opening her legs!"

The silence in the room following Minister Daltus' remark is overshadowed by the ringing in my ears.

How dare he...

He's nothing but an old man who used his family heritage to climb up the social ladder, yet he talks as if he's a King in his own rights.

"You better calm yourself Minister."Sir Aries tries to warn him without success.

"Why? Who is she to get involved in our matters?! They even collared her for fuck's sake!" He turns directly to me, the wrinkles on her forehead creasing with the frown on his face.

"Don't you have somewhere to be, girl? Aren't you supposed to be in the Feather Lord's bed carrying his heir?!"

All eyes on me. Some of them waiting in anticipation to witness my reaction to such a blatant disrespect towards, others silently agreeing with him. Perhaps, that's why my amused smirk throws everyone off guard. I suppose that's why the Minister in question sits back down when I let out a cold soft laugh. It's a pity that they're unaware that tears will never run down my cheeks again. For tears come with emotions, and those are things my heart no longer feels. No longer seeks for.

"Fine, I'll do it,"I say looking at the man wearing a crown that doesn't belong on his head, "You can watch me trough an Eagle's Eye if you don't trust me."

His eyes close in relief, and even the second and third in command let out deep breaths. They had planned this behind my back, I realise bitterly.

This was their ultimate goal all along.

"But, if I fulfil the mission, you must promise me something."

"What is it?" General Fabian asks with genuine interest. The only one regarding me with neutrality at this table.

"No need to worry, it isn't much. However, if I succeed to find anything crucial, you will discharge Minister Daltus upon my return. His status will be one of a commoner, his wealth will go to the villages still suffering from the last flue season, and he will apologise to me. Publicly."

The man's face pales, and he stutters another row of insults before turning to his King hoping for some kind of redemption. Only for his King to keep his gaze on me, the wench who will one day be his ruin. His warm eyes hold my arctic ones in a staring contest to depict any signs of laughter or sarcasm, and when he realises the sincerity in my demand, he nods before standing up. Announcing the end of the meeting.