𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟎

Pandora 

"I'm fine." I reassure the blissfully unaware lady bend over her arm chair towards me. Having lost my appetite for the delicious dish left untouched, I run for an escape after having excused myself. Rare are the servants that care to ask me where I'm going or what I'm doing here, wandering in the lit halls of the first floor by myself. Since I'm a guest, leaving me to fend myself isn't something this Capital yens to be known for. Loss in my lack of guidance, for this place continuously oppressing my mana and heightened senses, I let my feet drift off in the direction they feel like following. My orientation skills doomed me to get lost in this labyrinth ten minutes ago, when I likely took the wrong turn to my chambers. So I don't even try to find my way back, and simply go with the flow of my thinking. Under the obscure rays of twilight, I breath out the stinging images of his mauve gaze.

If only he had been as vile as the rumours made him appear to be. It would've been a whole lot easier to see the silver blood of his victims tainting his calloused hands. The borderline overwhelming mana swirling around him should've driven those around him into chaos from its errancies, but it only emerges you into a warm blanket of acceptance when you stand at close proximity from him. His empathic gazes almost made me question the accuracy of first-hand evidence I've seen of his malevolence. For Eleanor to have lost an eye for simply staring, and all those who lost their voice for simply speaking, and those who complete their tasks too slowly with one hand for having touched him on accident...

What fragment am I missing for this puzzle to make it make sense? One would've thought that after years of reading those around me, my ability to understand why mortals do what they do would've been better than this.

I'll never understand mortals.

At some point in time, the golden chandeliers lighting up the hallways appear rarer and rarer until I'm left in the scarce glow of moonlight seeping through the windows. Faraway do my thoughts fade and with each step, I become more aware of the presence lingering in the shadows, where Chantara doesn't reach. I keep my steps even, not showing any signs of the awareness pushing my heart to beat at regular pace. The long sleeves of my dress hide the darkening of my nails to a set of obsidian claws, paper-thin veins pump golden blood on the back my hands. I look ahead, only now paying attention to my entourage, and innerly curse when I just had to walk into a hall with a dead-end. Lucky me. Eyes closed, I focus on finding the faintest indication of footsteps. As if the person behind me is the very fruit of my imagination, or a lost soul roaming in the far corners of its old home, I can't sense its footsteps or even short breaths like the one escaping from my parted lips. I turn around, and keep on walking for another minute. When I still can't depict any sounds indicating that there's someone else except from me haunting these halls, I blame my paranoia for the unnecessary stress. Going up a set of spiral stairs, I walk up the second floor and recognise the familiar portraits of previous rulers and long-forgotten priests. Looking to my left, out the window, the South Wing looks as abandoned as ever. The small window I used last time to break in creaks half-open with the wind. I smile as the sweet scent coming from Candice's chambers diffuses in the air, making me crave for apple pie. It's only then that I hear it. The same presence I felt minutes ago, but this time more strongly, as if it's standing closer than last time. I slow down my pace, focusing on another pair of steps creeping behind me.

There.

Claws out, I turn to the shadow standing behind me, leaning against the cold stone separating two windowsills. Two bodies clash against one another as I push my weigh against a hard chest, trapping it between me and the wall behind it. In a flash, I have my claws pressing against his throat, black streaks of blood dripping down to his collarbone when I tighten my grip. I angle my head upwards to face him. Although our considerable height difference makes it difficult, I manage to look him in the eyes. My mouth slightly opening in shock as they meet. Serpent orbs take me in, the same way they did when we first crossed paths. Like a viper slowly observing its prey, its tail slowly circling around me until I'm swallowed by his entity.