𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟏

Pandora 

The grey stones of the High Tower of the Royal Mages follow me every step of the way, so does the scent of herbs and magic, intensifying to the point of invading my sense of smell completely. Following the guard closely, I'm not surprised when I attract the attention of many, the Alchemists working with the large cauldrons on their potions halting their movements upon my passing. Pale eyes staring back at me in pure interest. No hate. No amiability. 

Simple interest, neutral of any subjective opinions, since Mages, especially those working at the tower, have absolutely no regards for titles or social standing. In their eyes, we're all just children of the Sun God they so strongly follow the prophecy of, so every outsider that sets foot on their working place, is treated and seen as any other mortal viewed in curiosity. Unfortunately, I couldn't trust the Mages back at home to maintain that same behaviour with me, as they were under the control and sworn alliance of my bloodline. Which meant that every word said between us, was carried to my father the moment I walked out of their office. 

That's why I hope that the ones here would be able to answer some questions of mine, without showing my cards to outsider parties - especially not the King. It's a wonder he doesn't ask more about what unnatural occurrence happened back in Hilas, and that's not even talking about my little scene of killing them all. The golden dust particles dancing between my fingers, creeping up onto every enemy I slashed the throat of and sucked dry of mana, there's no way he missed any of it. Yet, he doesn't ask anything, as if he knows more than I do about my own condition.

 It irks me, and that's why I'm here. My other half has been acting up lately, and only by keeping her under control with mana, can I keep my humanity for as long as I need to to prepare for the upcoming battles it take to bring the Salavars down once and for all. Lost in my thoughts, I almost bump into the back of the guard who stops in from of an old wooden door, the entrance of it far too tight for his buff demeanour to pass through.

 We just stand there for a minute and a half, and just as I'm about to ask him if I should come back another time, the door opens to the same ethereal mage that opened the portal for me when I traveled to Hilas. Her dark skin contrasting with the intense ginger of her hair, and making her naturally white eyes pop. All Mages carry an aura around them, the softer it feels, the less they work with their internal life force during their practice. 

That's why anyone who doesn't know better, would easily mistake the Alchemists for humans with their soft presence, comparable to a flower petal dancing with a spring breeze. But, this woman, I noticed it last time too, but she carries with her an aura of an Dhalia, intense to look at and pretty at first glance, with poison that could end your life if you come too close. She must be like me.

"Leave us." she orders the guard, not keeping her eyes off me, and for some inexplicable reason I feel a connection of silent understanding building between us. As if the Phoenix of Celestria gave each of us a burning feather with the other's Holy name written on it.

"Would you like to come in, Your Grace?" she proposes, and I smile amused at the sudden warmth in her tone.

"Thank you." Walking in, I'm met with the most pleasant scent I've ever had the pleasure of breathing in, feeling my eyes burn bright, and when I turn to the Mage, I notice that her eyes too are burning but with a silver fire, no longer their neutral white.

"I knew it!" she inhales deeply before walking towards me, the swing of her hips never going out of pace, whisking out a pocket knife from the table in the middle of the room, covered in open books with ancient scripts and drawings. When she approaches me, until she's close enough to grasp my hand, I expect my other half to go wild inside my head, but instead she's deadly quiet, as if turning a blind eye to the person pointing a knife at us.