𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟗

Pandora

I don't know how I should react seeing my parents again for the first time in months. The time we spend apart was short, yet at the same time longer than ever. It wasn't my intention to leave them behind in the first place, it just...turned out that way. 

But, then again, I suppose it was bound to happen one way or another, our parting. May it be by death or marriage, or any other way that would've required me to be given up for their benefit. It was meant to be like this.

The quiet tapping of our shoes following the servant closely never mattered as much as today, since this is the first time I'm walking across these halls as a guest, and not the host set up to welcome us with a gentle expression and composed form. 

A lighthearted smile contours my face as I walk next to Esmée, the rest leading in front of us following the reputed footman, who I have known since I was old enough to walk around the castle freely.

I've always found the Priests of our temples to be extremely annoying, always blaming the Stars and Heavens for everything that goes wrong in their lives, yet here I am saying that exact thing about my current situation with meeting these people. 

It didn't take me long before figuring out what part of the Palace we transported to, the never ending loop of halls is only distinguishable by those who've found the comfort in hiding between them before. My Father's loyal servant was already waiting for us at the end of the hall bordering the Wing at the back of the Palace, right above the catacombs. 

The open hall of the South Wing gives us a wide view of the Felidae Capital as we cross paths to the Main Hall of the palace. The liveliness of the city reminding me of why I do what I do.

All of it, for this.

The distant screams of merchants promoting their goods and services for a price lower than the stall next door. The youthful laughs of children running around and in between the passers, ignoring the many calls of their parents as they continue their merrymaking. Farmers attend their spring corps as their livestock graze peacefully.

A pleased expression contours my face as I recall the one and only time I was able to sneak out of the Palace with Dahlia, a couple of years ago.

My senses were overwhelmed at all surrounding me, and I wished a hundred times to never have to leave this place filled with life and contempt for the one filled with animosity and envy. It speaks for itself that we were punished upon coming back home, but that was of no importance. 

My eyes were opened, and those I was always taught to protect, that were until then mere subjects I heard my family speak of with little regards, became people I wished to protect.

Turning around the corner, we walk into the Main Hall designed to impress its visitors. I almost laugh when I see how uninterested everyone looks upon catching sight of the massive chandeliers lighting up the whole place brightly, or the ivory statues of our many Gods every couple of feet. 

This is probably nothing compared to what these people have seen in their long lavish lives. The marble floor imbedded with specks of silver and mana leads us to the Throne Hall, and I subconsciously hold my breath to flatten my stomach more than its muscles sculpt it to be. Keeping my arms close to my sides, I become well aware about the broadness of my shoulders Mother has always disapproved of. 

My hands caressing my bare scarred arms consciously, and I suddenly regret wearing my usual combat attire instead of something more covering.

"Are you alright," Esmée asks in oblivion to my very dysfunctional family dynamic, "You must feel excited to see your parents again." My arms press a bit tighter against my ribcage, as if I could physically compress it into something more petite.