𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟐

Pandora

"You truly have a gift for making an entrance, you know that?" The man who's presence I genuinely don't care for right now, makes himself known. Using the opportunity of having my back towards him, I roll my eyes, as if that simple gesture would be enough to compensate for all the annoyance he has brought into my life so far.

"Didn't anyone teach you how to knock." I ask, not looking away from the map spread out on my desk.

"Didn't anyone teach you how to properly close a door?"

"My apologies, I didn't think it to be necessary to do more than lock a door to send the message that I'm busy."

"Apologies accepted." I can practically hear the mischievous smile in his voice.

"What are you even doing here?"

"Apart from savouring you annoyance?"

"Oh I see, you're going to be a sadist today as well?"

"At least now you learned one of my kinks."

"You're going to do this again?"

"Who knows."

"What are you really doing here?"

"If you're dying to know," he dramatically reveals, permitting himself to walk into my room as if he owns the place. Looking up from the map, I turn to him, arm crossed. Waiting silently for him to continue while he inspects my vanity, letting his fingers graze over my hairbrush subtly, as if scared to break it if applying too much force.

"I'm interested in knowing what got our little Precious so angry, that she stormed into a Royal Meeting, breaking the doors on her way in, and injured three Ministers, and one General."

"Cease the pretence of your ignorance, commander. You know well enough why I did it." Pondering on the thought, I don't recall having actually injured any of the members, I simply pushed them out of my way, that's all. Ok, maybe, just maybe, I might have used a bit too much strength than necessary.

Oh, well, I shrug unbothered, at least they got what was waiting for them.

"Please, do enlighten me, Princess."

"You must've seen it through Eagle's Eye, what the Salavars do to the prisoners they hold captive. These people, they may not matter as much to the King compared to a wealthy Clan like Silver Scale, who he immediately helped find refuge when they crossed their borders, but they're still his people. His responsibility. Yet he puts his marriage alliance before them."

"I think you're misunderstanding something here, dear." He mocks with a click of his tongue, balancing his bodyweight on his forearms leaned on the table, and my fingers irk to flatten the wrinkle he causes at the left upper corner of the map. "A King's responsibility isn't towards his people, but his House. 

Even if it takes a couple of... unfortunate sacrifices, meaningless bugs like the commoners who strive to overthrow an entire system. The deaths of a thousand innocent lives, or even a marriage between the King and the human Princess. All will eventually be buried in the archives of this House's history. But do you know what will remain standing, a century or two from now on? Us. If the rebels become too much of an eyesore, he will just have to call the other three Originals to help their brother out, although Lucien isn't in the best of moods since his wife's miscarriage -"

"Lucien?"

"Anyhow," he continues with a humming inhale, the melody speaking to me in the depths of my memories, "Everything will be solved in time. People will be born again, replacing the loss of those who're dying now. The rebels will be no more than a phrase in our history books, described as nothing more but a failed rebellion. And that little Princess, that the King will take as his concubine.