𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟑

Pandora

I've always known that Jonathan was the golden child of the family.

His birth was undoubtedly more celebrated than mine. As were his birthdays, his coming-of- age ceremony, and now his engagement. I didn't think that our ballroom could've been any more covered in richness than it already was. And as I'm stepping into the lively hall, wild with the dancing pairs and large tables covered with the most exotic cuisine for all invited to feast on, I can now say that I was very, very wrong.

The crystal windows at either sides break the sunlight streams into the most colourful tears of dusk. Esmée has to nudge my shoulder for me to stop inspecting the humungous statue installed at the centre of it all. A golden angel has spread its wings and is looking up to the sky. Endless diamond feathers garnish its wings, that could easily reach a wingspan of five feet. Whomever said that the Silver Scale Clan is humble and reserved is a terrible liar. 

At least the vast lands we've handed over to them in exchange for all this was worth the money, I suppose. Arms hooked, Esmée and I make our ways to the amuse-bouches, our minds both set on our main priorities. Besides, it's not like any of this has anything to do with us. The day I left this place was the day I left my place as a Princess and as daughter. I know that. I accepted it.

And yet...

"I know your Father is a misogynistic fuck-face," she says, her voice muffled by the chou she's savouring, "but damn he can organise a party."

I chuckle softly as she picks out another chocolate dipped delight. It's true, even I'm taken aback by the grandness of it all.

"You're right, it indeed is something. But this," I nod towards the grand hall, "This is all Mother. She's the one in charge of all social gatherings, Father simply gives her a budget and a task, and off she goes."

"A task?" she repeats thoughtfully, taking a sip of the expensive alcoholic drink made out of a golden plum that is only grows in the far North, between the mountain tops and glaciers. I gracefully grab a drink for myself, careful to hold the crystal glass with little force.

"Depending on what the aim of the event is, Mother will decorate the room accordingly. Why else do you think that tonight we're covered in a golden sky?" I point up at the golden flowers crawling up the columns to the painted ceiling.

"'Look at how far we've come' is what tonight's decoration screams. We used to be one of the poorest Clans, but with this marriage, our finances are covered for at least another couple of centuries."

"I'm afraid the only message I get from all this nonsense is that the Lord is desperate to appease his inferiority complex with richness and political ties, although that is quite the smart move when it comes to impressing the King and his followers," she finishes as we both follow from a safe corner, the graceful movements of elegant ladies twirling around with their partners. 

As if the floor is but a servant to their steps. Paying not much mind to my beautiful friend's senseless blabbering about the fine material of the attires and equally fine men wearing them, my gaze slowly but surely creeps towards a certain group of men standing at the far front of the hall. Everyone did their utmost best to dress as finely as their families made them ought to be. 

Women have their hair woven in the most complex braids and clipped with the rarest jewels. Their gowns run down their ankles, the many layers of fine materials worn tightly around some bodies, while loosely around others. The richest Silver Scales mingling with the most powerful Cat-Eyes. But, all share one similar trait. To bring the best out of their Clans.