𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟕

Pandora

"Your Highness."

After that happened... the incredible I've seen and impossible experienced, I expected anything to befall upon me, everything.

But not this.

Not this.

I wish to say that I'm confused, or totally thrown off. Unfortunately, I'm not. It would've been naive never to consider the option of him pretending to be someone he's not. Someone with the responsibility that matches his power. I considered him being that person, and foolish me rejected the probability of that being true the closer we became to one another. To closer he became to gain my unconditional trust. Therefore, it isn't with confusion that I approach him. It isn't because of fear of what he may do to her, that I stand in front of Esmée when I notice how darkly he looks at her. It isn't with a broken expression that I look at him.

To kill, or to be killed.

Heavens couldn't fool me more than they already have for me to be blinded by my own heart. They tried, but Father made sure to engrave his principals in the furthest depths of me. A couple of months of being enamoured can't make that become untrue.

"I can explain," He tries, putting his hands up in front of him in what is supposed to be an attempt to calm me. Little does he know, I'm perfectly calm. So much so that it scares me. The stillest oceans brew cataclysmic storms, and right now, my calmness is muffling the tangible tension between us.

He's just like them.

"Talk."

None of them recognise the distant tone with which I address him, I simply never had to resort to such extensive measures since being here. I cross my arms over my chest, just to make sure that my dress doesn't fall off if the single lace holding it gives up on me too. Ignoring the rest, even when my distant tone doesn't pass well by Sir Aries who aims to snap at me, and even Adonis who looks at me through a new lens. I can't bother to care for the chill passing between each of them. They deceived me. I came here, put myself in a vulnerable position to help them hold the rebels back. Some of them fought by my side while being on the other side of the line.

"Everyone out."

Following his order everyone leaves, Dameon wanting to make an objection but stays silent and walks out with one last sigh, the rest of them following him closely behind. My fingers twitch as I follow the sweaty state of Candice, her attire muddy.

She's training.

Ciaran's eyes only leave me for a second, glare at the someone standing behind me harshly. She makes a move to walk away, but with my trust broken, I don't know what to expect of his and his underlings the moment I let her out of my sight.

"Get back in the circle, Esmeralda."

"You know what, maybe I should just-"

"Now, Amaryllis." The last part I speak in my mind, loud enough for it to reach her through our newly formed bond. I have only read about soulmate bonds being forged from the intertwining of mana through blood. Unable to go against my request, she defectively breaths out. Dramatically rolling her eyes before making her way back into the still intact circle, her swelling belly making her waddle like a fat duck. I would laugh, wouldn't I feel void of emotions. Ignoring the presence that becomes more agitated the longer I spend my attention on someone else but him.

"I'm listening."

"Look at me, Precious." I don't want to. The highest I can look up to, is his chin. Even his lips, that I kissed mere hours ago, are too difficult to stare at. It does something to me, stirs something in my chest I cannot permit myself to understand. So, I don't.