𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟓

Pandora 

My eyes flutter open at the faraway sound of crackling wood, immediately sitting up when I become aware of the strange environment. The stars light up the dark night sky, the crescent moon sitting peacefully on her usual standpoint, somehow shines less bright than usual. As if her luminosity has been dimmed with the sadness of watching her children kill one another like a pack of wild beast.

Or, my sleepy state has yet to wear off and I'm imagining things.

From a couple of feet, between the trees and bushes, I recognise the voices of my comrades. Sir Aries' dissatisfied voice stands out from the rest, sounding much different from Esmée's soft one. I trust that they're all safe, and use their unawareness of my awoken state to let the shame sink in. 

After all these years, one would've thought that with everything else that happened to me, I would've by now been able to draw a line over the few nights spend in my uncle's company.

"How ridiculous," I sigh burying my face in the palms of my hands. To believe I could be swept from my ground so easily. I just want to forget. The realisation of how little I've evolved from my past self makes me want to cry the same tears I've sworn to never shed again.

I just want to forget.

Please, Gods, I'll do anything, just... Jut make me forget.

The sound of crunching leaves makes me look up, wiping away the tears that wee welling up in my eyes, and somewhere grateful that someone interrupts my spiral of self-pity. Although that gratefulness is short-lived when I recognise the shape of the person approaching me. The tall demeanour, that's shorter and generally a whole lot smaller than his true form. 

The natural way in which he manages to blend in with the shadows around him, and those piercing eyes that manage to shine as brightly as the moon, if not more. I only recognise his frown when he's close enough. Standing at my feet, I have to tilt my head upwards to be able to maintain eye contact. I wait for it. 

For the shallow laugh that mocks me for my foolishness, or that crazed smile that promises so much wickedness. Yet, he shows me none. No, instead his frown deepens upon inspecting my face, and I have to fight the urge to wipe my forehead, knowing that I probably sweated a lot during my little incident.

"So," he starts, crossing his arms, when I don't make an effort to start a conversation. And for some reason, I feel like a child being scolded by her parent. "Care to tell me what that was about?"

"I don't know what you mean," I decide eventually that faking ignorance is easier for now, "You saw it clearly, I couldn't win against them. It's that simple." Looking down at my hands, I shift my gaze to inspect the leaves on the bush next to me, their complex patterns suddenly become so interesting I can't take my eyes off them.

"Oh, no, you don't get to play around like that, Precious. Not after today. I've seen how strong your mana is, you could've easily taken both of them on. With or without Silver Root." He waits for an answer patiently, but I remain silent against his glare.

 There's no way I can tell him, or anyone for that matter what my body has served for. Because I know that just like everyone else before him, he'll regard me with pity, as if I'm a porcelain doll that needs to be handled with overbearing care. And the idea of him seeing me like this, I'd rather having him fear or mock me.

 A loud breath makes me look up again, and when he's feet are on the move again and I think he's finally about to leave, he comes sit next to me. Making sure our bodies don't touch, even at such close distance.