𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟑

Pandora

The next day, I'm peacefully drinking my afternoon tea with Candice, enjoying the combination of floral scented steam dancing around the edges of the cup, and the details adding up to one another as I continue my plan to send notice of the attacks to my troops back at home. As if knowing where to hit, the rebels were insightful enough to pass through the poorest region of farmland stretching out for miles, before the next military standpoint is in reach. All I need is for our men to stand by at the edge of the land borders, to at the very least, hold the enemy back from invading the farm lands until all habitants are brought to the safe zones, near our Felidae Capital.

"Are you alright? Pandora." I snap out of my whirlwind of thoughts, and look up from the wavering surface of my filled porcelain cup, up to the two ladies looking at me with concerned-filled eyes.

"I am, I'm just worried that's all." I admit, secretly finding myself to enjoy having people around me that feel such trivial emotions like concern, and understanding.

"Don't." Candice says before putting her tea cup down, the freshness of mint contrasting with the strong mix of flowers.

"The Royal Council will find a solution, have faith."

Oh, Candice, if only it were that easy.

"I know." I carefully bring the cup to my lips, taking a small sip of the slightly bitter yet sweet beverage.

"I know."

Right on cue, as if the Heavens have heard my thoughts of evading the place, a guard announces his presence with a knock on the door.

"Your Grace, the King requests your presence in the Throne Room."

"See, I told you. They'll find a way."

"Good luck!" Eleanor and Candice both nod harmoniously, as if wanting to console me with that simple gesture, and funny enough, I find myself calming down a little bit.

"By the way," I turn Candice, whispering quietly before leaving. "What's the relationship between the King and the 1st in commander?"

Her relaxed stance completed vanishes, and when I reach for her cup, that's about to spill with the trembling of her hands, she smiles with a hint of nervousness.

"They have...a special relationship I would say it's a bit...peculiar?" She frown while speaking slowly, thoughtfully. Before waving me off one last time when I step out of the room.

Walking silently down the hall, distant whispers become louder as we near the Throne Room, until I catch sight of the twelve monarchs forming the Royal Council, apart from the King and his commanders. So, he wasn't lying, It seems the bastard was right when he told me that I left some injuries during my visit. Although we're supposed to heal faster than humans, I know from experiences that my fists tend to be more damaging than others. Totally disregarding their glares, I patiently wait for the large golden doors to open, and meekly walk into the hall, but not before throwing one last smirk at one of the Ministers, who still has an evident bump on his nose from where I punched him. I neither show my surprise when the King and his commanders, who look more like guard dogs standing on both sides of his throne, look down at me from their pedestal. Adonis and Sir Arie, standing on the left side, backs straight, at safe distance from one another. While the bastard is leaning with his elbow on the throne, his stance more relaxed than I've ever seen a subject in the presence of his King.

I knew it! Lovers.

"You called for me, Your Highness." I state, not hiding the annoyance at being interrupted during my time of passiveness within the confines of my chambers.