𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟐

Dameon

I can't do this anymore.

The longer I stare at the bloodied note on my desk, the more it seems to stare back. Dejected, I look up to the portrait hanging above my bed, the only thing intact left from the mess that was once my organised living space. It's been many years since I took on the role of King in the eyes of the public, but the burden that comes with getting a taste ultimate power is far too heavy for someone like me. 

A scholar raised to assist my Liege in every way possible, staying up through nights of paperwork and signatures. Not assisting Council Meetings at the head of the table, or acting cold and cruel for the sake of my own safety.

My hands cover my face while I think of a new work plan, that would both satisfy the Council and keep our people safe.

"Your Highness?" A small voice behind my door interrupts the meaningless scribblings I note on the map, lines upon lines upon symbols of possibilities.

"Yes, what is it?"

"My apologies for interrupting, but the troop is back."

The butler says before walking off, and not another second later I'm up and hurrying to the Throne Room, where they'll most likely have transported. Skipping steps, hurrying to talk with the King and finally give him his crown back.

 After, of course, breaking the news to them that our guard post at the border of the city was overthrown with a note stating that the rebels call a war upon us. Although Liam will be the one most affected by the news, since these are his men. As if a marriage proposal from the humans wasn't enough to deal with.

 The maids I pass bow in fear before me, and the acidic gal burns my throat in shame. I don't have what it takes to be feared like this, hence why being venerated like a God makes me shamefully sick. Sometimes I wonder, what goes through the minds of nobles who give their daughters to men they know will do nothing but neglect them.

How many princesses has it been now? Seven? Eight?

Not letting the guard announce my presence, I push the golden doors of our Throne Room open.

"How was it?" I ask Liam silently when I notice the scowl on his face. His frown only deepening when the doors open again, only to reveal Princess Pandora's maid. The only reason I know that, is because she has been following her like a dog on a leash ever she came here. Other than that, I don't even recall ever seeing her here, which isn't much of a surprise since I don't know majority of the maids here. Faces become a blur once you see too many of them.

"It's even worse than we thought." he answers coldly. His gaze shooting daggers at Lady Pandora, who's too preoccupied by hugging her maid to see the stare of the shadow looming over her.

"Much worse." The look Adonis gives me one I recognise. I nod, in understanding.

"Luckily, I already called for the most important members. They're waiting for us in the other hall." I urge a bit louder, looking over at Ciaran to catch his attention, with no avail. The others walk away, Princess Pandora sending me a polite smile when she sees me. I answer, despite the death stare I get from the man that gets told off when he wants to accompany her back to her chambers. She leaves, followed by Damien and Eliza who're arguing like the children they are at heart.

"What about..." I point at where Adonis is starting a meaningless conversation with his one-sided-hopelessly-bored-crush.

"Nothing much. Apart from the fact that they practically dry humped in front of an entire ballroom, and he eye fucked her ever second of the day, almost stabbing a couple of High Nobles who dared to so much as look at her for too long. Oh, and did I forget to mention that he threaten burning the Clan to ashes wouldn't the Lord give up his brother for his 'leisure'. Other than that, nothing much."

 The nonchalance at which Liam says it makes me think that much more would've happened had they let Ciaran do as he pleased. He taps me on the shoulder as we walk to the meeting.

"By the way, remind me to change Eliza's guarding schedule."

"Why?" Concerned whispers sounding from the oak door in front of us.

"Don't know, but he's been burning holes in the back of her head since this morning. Or maybe it's just another fit of his. Regardless, I don't want to risk her life for it."

Wonderful, another pile of corpses to clean up.

Just...Wonderful.