𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟖

Liam

That female is not to be trusted.

No matter how many times I told Dameon that he should send her back to where she belongs, his heart is too weak to send the feeble looking creature away. No matter how many times he tries to convince us all that the sole purpose of her presence is to use her to do the dirty work we have been reluctant to tackle for years. I know that there's more to the story that he isn't telling me, much more.

Or isn't allowed to tell.

Following the traces left behind by my intuition, I steal a glance at the King, only to see him playing with a fucking flower. That creepy smile always on the face that has killed too many to count in-and-out of the battlefield. Decapitating one body after the other, looking more peaceful than ever. 

He kills with the composure of someone wandering through a field of dandelions. The witch and the Princess have been gone for a while now, and there's still no sign of the barrier being restored. I wish they could hurry it up. I have a bad feeling about this entire situation. Something about this stinks, or maybe it's the mud we've been swimming in for the last four fucking hours.

It's obvious that her Clan is behind it. For the outcasts to have easily outpaced their guards, it could be considered acceptable if they really dipped their weapons in Silver Root. But for their defence barrier to be so weak, especially at the exact spot that the rebels are trying to enter through? Not so much.

Fucking vermin.

First, they sell their own people for money, and now this. What kind of dimwits do they consider us to be, thinking that we won't notice their miserable intention to gain the King's favour. We must be to some extent, wince we invited their Princess as one of us so easily. That female, I can't speak for the rest, but she'll never be a member of the Royal Court to me. 

Someone that can do such horrible things like she did in that village, killing all those people with the simple use of her hands, it's like inviting a ticking time bomb inside our domain.

Why hasn't she been taken care of yet? Insulting the Royal Council, injuring some of it's most faithful members. Talking to her higher-ups the way she did. 

All of them are punishable crimes. But disrespecting our King the way she did, forget calling him 'Bastard', no one has ever walked away from looking at him the way she did. Even I will never forget my eighteenth birthday, the day I first met him and accidentally glared at him. The day I almost lost my life.

Something's going on, I decide when looking at Ciaran again, right as he turns to the small tent a couple of feet away, his eyes widened and alert.

Heavenly Beings, huh?

Well, it makes sense for our King to see them. As an Original, he must have some direct connection to the Heaven't Realm. But, her? I can't even tell what exactly she is, let alone how she could see them. She's no good, that's for sure. 

No good to Dameon, who has started to carry that same heavy expression as when Penelope died. No good to my men, who started to stray of the path of what's right since meeting her. No good to the King, who ordered us all to hide his identity from her, promising to rip out our tongues if we tell her. And most certainly no good to Candice, who's getting twisted in her...uncanny ways of life. 

The talking back when I do things she would normally let me, like keeping her inside when I know the King will attend a Meeting. Not letting me braid her hair like I used to, even taking the comb from my hands when I simply try to brush it. Yesterday, she went as far as asking me to train for the army.