𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟒

Pandora

Rebels jumped out of every tree, face shielded, weapons out, ready to attack. And much unlike us, they're well prepared. Waiting for us to fall right in their trap. I would start thinking about all the possibilities around how in the world they could've possibly known that we were coming, and more importantly where we were landing. One thing I'm sure of, I conclude as I draw a dagger from my leather straps, and throw it at a rebel who is just about to attack one of our men from behind, a rat is leaking all the confidential information shared within the walls of the Council Room. 

I don't linger to admire the work of my blades once it's planted right under my victim's chin, the poison on its double edges swallowing its victim's screams as it eats away the flesh and meat of his throat. Until his body falls limply down on the green grass beneath us. A scream at the right of me catches my attention before a sword swings over a rebels head as he aims it at me. 

It would've sliced through my chest, scarring the cleavage between my breasts even, hand't he been so dumb to scream, and thereby making his presence known to all those around him. I crush side-ways and escape from under his raised arm, kicking him in the back to bring him out of balance. Last time I was face to face with them, I almost pitied these men for having to fight against the Royal Army, while they have little to no expertise on the battlefield.

 Yet, this time is different. The people I'm seeing knowingly yield swords and move swiftly, balance themselves on their feet as if they've participated in many wars in the past, and they can foresee the next move of their opponent far before they act on it.

"Send them back!" I hear Sir Aries screaming at Eliza, who nods and orders Esmée to reopen the portal for their men to be send back. I'm about to oppose when I rethink the situation though. As it is now, we already outnumbered them, finishing them off by ourselves is well possible without leaving too many wounded. The division hurries back into the space of the portal, eager to get out of this mess of a situation none were prepared for. 

We continue to fight, all of us now covered in the silver of shifter blood, and from here I can clearly hear their breathing becoming heavier and heavier with every corpse falling to the ground lifelessly. Completely immersed in my killings, I don't have time to take control back from my other half when we hear Esmée's scream.

 Looking up from our position on the ground where we were tripped over by someone, our hands still around his neck as we watch the portal being interrupted when her spell is hindered as someone grabs her by the neck, putting her in chokehold position. We don't take the time to wonder why she can't push him away, he who is so much weaker than her, and finish off what we were doing by twisting my victim's neck at an unnatural angle. I listen for the crack heard and felt from under our fingers. 

Hurrying to reach her before her eyes roll to the back of her scalp. Claws out, we grab his arm that's circled around her throat and pressing her air pipe close, his scream shrilled music to my ears when my nails puncture his forearm, digging deeper and deeper until we feel the hard surface of bone. With much more force than necessary, he's yanked away from her. 

I don't take my time with him, not deeming him worthy of it when he hurt someone who showed such acceptance towards my, and end his life with a simple stab in the heart. The blood pooling at my feet like a freeing oasis.

"Are you okay?" I ask Esmée, crouching down the her level as she's urgently coughing, trying to fill her lungs with as much air as possible. Looking up, she smiles reassuringly about to say something when her eyes go wide with fear, their paleness shimmering as she's warns, about to reach for me, too late. "Pandora, behind you!" The ghost touch of her finger tips leaves behind a soon fading warmth when two strong arms grab me from behind, lifting me up so my feet don't touch the ground.