𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟖

Pandora

"How did it go?" It takes everything in me to drag my feet to the bed, before letting myself fall, face first. All regards for my makeup and hairstyle forgotten the moment I step foot in the security of my own room. Eleanor's worried voice follows me, and as I'm taking my shoes off, that are far too complicatedly tied up to the feet for any Lady's good, she takes the liberty of serving the steaming hot tea into a cup. The floral scent spreading across the room in damp clouds, and I take a deep breath in as the far fetched sense of nostalgia washes over me the moment my nose trills hold it captive. I know this scent, it's burried deep between the far away memories of my childhood, but I'm almost certain that I've already had this tea before.

"Here." My lovely attendant, and saviour of the day offers. The halo sitting on her head like a glowing crown more prominent than normally. Perhaps it's my exhaustion that's playing with me, after all I'm not one to function well under the influence of lack of sleep. Sitting up, I take the steaming cup from her hands and take the sweet time to sip bit by bit the hot tea that has a sweet tint to it - just the way I like it.

"It tastes wonderful, what tea is it?" I ask looking up to her, then looking down at her hands when I notice her massaging them. Did she burn herself while serving me?

"It's a mixture of Camilla and other spices to help you against the nerves," she quietly say, turning away mid-sentence to collect the utensils. "Would you like some biscuits, Pandora?"

"No, I'm good thank you." Once alone again, I put the cup down, only half of it emptied. I close my eyes slowly, having the thought of resting a bit before the meeting with the Royal Council, that's supposed to happen in the afternoon.

"Five hours," I mumble, "that should be enough." And not even a second after the words leave my mouth, I pass out of exhaustion.

Seems like that tea works wonders.

Why do I have to go through this? The question roads at every corner of the hallways as we're walking towards the Council Room. Why do I have to sit face-to-face with a mass of old geezers who take the liberty to judge and make decisions in the name of the soldiers and people marching to their deaths every time they assemble for another battle, while they remain seated on the mountains of gold generations of richness have accumulated.

But then again, the rich decide for the poor, the powerful decide for the weak, and the men decide for the women.

If all unjust in this world would be set straight, then nothing would be left standing. Patriarchies would crumble, Kingdoms would fall, and I would finally be able to go to sleep. Until then, I have to brace myself every time I enter a man-filled room, like I do now. I have to keep my pokerface on even when they don't bother to hide their sneers. The many wrinkles on their foreheads creasing when they notice my indifference to their reactions.

"You're late, Princess." Minister Gladius, who unlike his soft-spoken daughter has the curtesy of a rock, remarks as soon as I sit down.

Why am I tolerating this again? Right, peace.

Although peace doesn't seem that meaningful anymore when I look over to the other side of the table where a certain bastard, who knows oddly well how to push my buttons, is sitting with the most gratified smile one could ever have in such ambiance. His head leaning on his arm lazily, hand under his chin, he has the guts to wink at me when he recognises the clenching of my fists. Seeing him like this, in a body far too innocent for his character, just doesn't sit right with me. Yet, looking at the others in the room, I'm the only one with that train of thoughts. Not taking much more time to make his grand entrance, the King walks in soon after me. His dark skin as smooth as ever, and I find myself staring at him longer than I should - again. It's not that I'm sexually attracted to him, it's just that he's one of those beings that's too beautiful not to be marvelled. With that reassuring thought, I follow his movements as he sits down.