𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟑

Candice 

I'm fucking done with this.

"42...43...44...45...Only five more you got this!" One of Liam's underlings tries to encourage me, and I'm this close to snapping at him. He's already told me his name a couple of times, but I can't be bothered to remember it. Smiling meekly has done the job until now, and I fear for my reputation would I open my mouth to speak more than a couple of words. My darling doesn't like it when I ramble. Or curse.

46

I feel as if every muscle in my body is on fire. Sweat gleams down my temples, the foreign sensation of exhaustion weighing heavily on my bones. I've always hated spring. The exposed sun burns at the back of my head, adrenaline pumping through my veins like a drug.

47

Stubborn loose curls dangle from my forehead, the light chestnut roots sticking out from the sun-kissed blond. I'll have to colour them again, since...

48

There're days where I wonder what I'm doing all this for. There're nights when his sleeping face doesn't bring me the serenity it used to. These moments of hesitations, that used to be mere seconds in the long hours spend together, become more and more frequent. Until all I can see when I look at him, is a life without him.

49

A life with no pleading for a shred of independence. No more sleeping on a hungry stomach to look my finest even during short nights spend together. Enough are the comparisons with a ghost that can't seem to pass to the other Realm. He thinks I don't know, he hopes that I'm still not aware. Of the woman that's hiding behind his every motive.

"50!"

The words barely leave his lips before I drop the wooden sword I've been swinging over my shoulder for Heavens know how long. The meaningless compliments he throws my way bypass me like a breeze. He probably hopes that by befriending me, he would reach my boyfriend's ears. Little does he know that Liam only pays attention to those he cherishes, and those he can use. Spread out over the dusty training field, I take the time to gaze up at the blue sky. My tongue clicks against my palette in annoyance, and I roll over to stand up. Infinite are the colours painting our world, so why, why must we face blue every clear day. Patting my clothes clean from dirt, I answer the greetings of all those bypassing me on the way to the room.

"Lady Candice! Wonderful to see you there!"

Ah, Shit.

A smile plasters itself on my face, my back straightens. Ready to face the most fake-ass bitch I've ever met in my entire life. Lady Hannah hurries towards me, the bottom of her extravagant dress held in her delicate hands. I can't help but look at the obvious differences between hers and mine. My kind expression doesn't falter when she aims to hold my hands in hers, but hesitates once she sees the state of them. Pride rushes through me when I take notice of my short cut nails, bare of any colours and stained with dirt. The hands of a soldier. No more long, hard to manage, nails that keep me from doing the most basic things without struggling.

"Do you need me for something?" I ask, my voice small, wanting to get this superficial nonsense over with to go take a shower.

"They're back!" She says far too enthusiastically, although I can't help but match her excitement.

"When did they arrive?"

"About half an hour ago, they immediately went into the Council Room though." I innerly roll my eyes at the ridiculous pout on her face. A couple of months ago, she became the talk of the capital when she openly declared her admiration for our King she knows as the 1st in command. Or 'Sir Ciaran' as he likes to go by.