𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟖

Pandora

I found the key.

I found my heart in him.

"Then that's all I need to know about my existence."

And with that, I turn to Esmée.

The blood around her not so worrisome anymore. She looks at me in question when I place my hand on her womb, until realisation morphs into panic and she tries to push me away.

"Pandora, you can't sacrifice yourself for an unborn life." She stammers, her words contradicted by the weakness of her push. Her fidelity lying with me even when her heart tells her otherwise.

"I've been a sacrifice all my life," I smile through the tears, my skin glowing with mana, "This isn't my sacrifice."

My heart clenches painfully, and I finally close my eyes as I give into the light. Brighter than the sun, my light spreads through the Palace walls, reaching far beyond the capital. Reaching beyond everything I know.

"It's my salvation."

One last breath, I look at my heart one last time as he screams for me. His eyes blinded by the light, and yet the bastard doesn't shield away from it. Tears of gold run down my cheeks, the heartbeat under the palm of my hand gaining life once again.

One last smile, I relish the memories we had, and the once we could have had.

To kill or to be killed.

I choose life.