𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟒

Pandora

I stare at Candice's retreating form, contemplation whether or not I should just accompany her and wait outside her door. I have trust in her bravery, but Sir Aries doesn't seem like the type to easily accept being broken up with.

She'll be fine, I tell myself, turning around, excited to finish the emotional scene where Sir knight finally confesses his undying devotion to the timid maid who fears for her master's wrath. Nothing better than a forbidden romance to kill time while waiting for any news regarding the secret investigation the Royal Council is officially launching against my own Clan. Apparently Damien found a suspiciously large amount of Silver Root hidden in the far corners of our dungeons. 

That alongside with documental evidence of great sums of money being imported to our Palace for the last few months was apparently enough for Father to be placed as number one suspect on the list of those who might have been lending a hand to the Salavars. 

Upon our arrival to Dynastra, the King wanted to talk to Ciaran privately about something regarding rebels being spotted within the borders of the capital. This wouldn't have been possible without one of the Clans giving them access to their territory. And since Feather and Cat-Eye were the only ones not yet supervised by royal troops, that's were the Council's suspicion lays.

The soft padding of my bare feet against the floor pauses when I recollect the panicked expression Candice carried as she walked out. That adding on to the painful thoughts I know she's been carrying for quite some time, makes me turn around. 

If I hurry now, I might be able to catch up on her. I grab the door handle when a heavy weight pushes my front against it. Arms hug my waist tightly, instincts yelling to break free. My breathing quickens when I let out a surprised yell, pushing the large body off of me. I hear a grunt, swiftly turning around to face my opponent. Claws out, teeth bared.

"Ciaran?" I ask in disbelief when I recognise the form standing a couple of feet from me, hurt flashing over his features as he stares at me with his azure eyes. An emotion sets over me, one that I don't understand. It shows me an image painful to the hart, of him leaving me. The disgust so prominent in his features that it takes my breath away.

"I-Im sorry," I stutter, looking back at the door to recall my earlier intentions,

"I didn't mean to push you, I just..." My apology dies out, the silent too loud to the ears. I look at everything but him, not wanting to face his deception.

Since when did I become so insecure?

A warm hand grabs my face, and I look up to see the smiling face and dimples I've come to yarn as much as dawn.

"It's my mistake for having sneaked up on you like that. Are you alright?" The concern in his voice truthful. It's difficult to think straight with his tump stroking my hips like that, the heat of him penetrating through the silk of my nightgown. After what happened this morning, his gaze became much more difficult to hold, and I'm content with keeping my attention to the oak door that gained my sudden interest.

" It's Candice, I think I should -" I'm interrupted by his lips on mine, the knowing glint in his eyes at the sight of my blush rendering me speechless. He ignores my attempts to break free from his hold, and lets his hands wander south to my arse. His expression faking ignorance when I look at him unimpressed after he gives it a good squeeze.

"I'm sure she'll be fine, that relationship was a lost cause from the start anyway."

"Then why didn't anyone say something before it came to this point?"

"It seemed like it would've been fun to witness." The indifference in his voice throws me off, and I build some space to have a better look at him.

"Then what about this," I gesture with my hand between us, "Am I a pioneer in your games too? If so, tell me so I can leave."