𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟎

Pandora

"I promise you, Lady Pandora, once you meet him you'll know what I mean." Princess Naida continues her melodramatic speech about soulmates and fated pairs, and how she knew from the moment she saw me at the ball that I'm meant to be with her cousin. 

A reputed noble who owns half the islands surrounding the Silver Scale territory. Of course, when I asked for his age, the first excuse she came up with was that 'age is just a number' prior to vaguely telling me that he could be my Father, and has already a wife with three children waiting at home for him.

"I'm grateful, Lady Naida, that you're so concerned for my future," I cut her off, halting my steps when we arrive at the dining hall. The silent scowl on her face not bypassing me. She's the one who called me to accompany her to brunch in the first place. Wasn't it for Father's idiotic laws, I would've attended this morning's meeting with the men.

"However, I assure you that my love life is not a matter of worrying."

She clears her throat before nodding once. The fairness of her skin tainted by the hypocrisy of her smile. Unlike me, she ordered her maids to do the very best they can to dress her up as elegantly as a 'casual' outfit would allow. 

The sleeveless dress laced tightly around her chest compared to the other parts of her body, manages to awaken my insecurities that can't seem to let go of me. No matter how well hidden they are. After yesterday, I thought to dress better than I usually would've. Since this time, there will be someone I want to impress.

Don't. Blush.

But, without the help of my maids - who Mother dismissed in my name, there's only so much I can do. My beige tulle dress falls loosely over my shoulders, the puffy long sleeves see through. I ended up waking later than I planned too, and hence only had the time to tie a ribbon in my hair to keep it out of my face before this insanely beautiful woman showed up at my door. Next to her, who's so much taller, more refined and slimmer than me. How could I possibly compare?

Doors open, the scent of warm food penetrating my nostrils, makes me momentarily forget about the spying Lady next to me. I don't know who she thinks I am, but she must think me to be a fool if she hopes that I don't know about her schemes.

 When the topic of men comes up, all noble women are the same at heart, and I've spend my life surrounded by them. I saw the look she gave Ciaran. I hear the mad beating of her heart as we step into the hall, her eyes immediately finding him out of everyone seated at the long tables. My expressionless mask doesn't slip when I see the dark in his gaze, the manner in which the man-child is glaring at the empty chair a couple of seats further, comical.

Ah, I understand.

Princess Naida walks over to the empty seat next to Jonathan, who's leaning closely to Father, away from his 'Grim Reaper' that's sitting at the other side of the table, opposite of him. My dear brother must've done what I bluntly told him to do, and carried what he saw over to Father. 

A day ago, they had the decency to respect my dignity as a high ranked noble, and seated me with them. But, today, I'm nothing but a whore in their eyes, who's place is with the maleficent witches. I'm not bothered by their miserable attempt to walk over me. Especially when I notice the fierce auburn curls seated next to me.

"Didn't know you were one of us, witch," she snickers from next to me when I sit down, eying the front of the table where Mother and Father are happily conversing like yesterday never happened. I knew it would be like this. It's always like this. A pinch of manipulation, a sprinkle of threats and he's forgiven. Next to them, Jonathan is laughing with his mouth full at his friend's remarks, his fiancée stealing side glances at Ciaran ever other bite. Food is obviously not the only thing she's hungry for.