50 : Daughter

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔍𝔲𝔩𝔶 2012

It was odd that, for someone with a son whom he loved very much, EJ Thompson disliked children so greatly. He found them quite off putting, and too bold for his liking. That being said, Josh was the light of his life, but he avoided the school run like the plague for that very reason.

     Before Trish allowed them to see Chloe, she went to the kitchen, still blathering on about how good a daughter she was. EJ had zoned out a little while back, thinking of the reasons why Rose could be taking so long. The boy had deduced that she was snooping around upstairs because no toilet trip would ever take so long. But the kitchen was cold, and EJ folded his arms to preserve the heat.

And then, Chloe walked in. She seemed not to have a care in the world, and completely ignored the presence of two new men in her home as the fridge was seemingly more interesting. It wasn't often that someone chose a carton of juice over EJ.

"Alright there?" The Doctor asked, attempting to introduce himself. "I'm the Doctor. This is EJ."

She stood rigid, facing them. "I'm Chloe Webber."

"How are you doing, Chloe Webber?"

He leant against the table, and EJ's eyes scanned her briefly. "You look tired." The Doctor sent him a look. "I'm sorry. I'm a Dad. I had to."

"I'm busy. I'm making something, aren't I, Mum?"

"And like I said..." Trish gulped, clinging to her mug of tea. "She's not been sleeping."

"But you've been drawing, though." The Doctor observed with ease. "I'm rubbish. Stick men are about my limit, but DI Thompson here is brilliant. Well, almost brilliant."

EJ's eyes narrowed towards him. "Watch it."

"Can do this, though." He raised his hand and patted his fingers like Spock in Star Trek. "Can you do that?"

She didn't try, but EJ copied him and giggled to himself, mimicking the show. "Live long and prosper."

"They don't stop moaning."

It took them all by surprise, and Trish almost dropped her mug. "Chloe?"

"I try to help them, but they don't stop moaning!"

She talked like a child from a horror movie; EJ observed it easily, and did the Doctor. "Who don't?"

"We can be together."

Trish sighed and ran to her daughter. "Sweetheart..."

"Don't touch me, Mum!" Chloe spat at her, shrugging away her touch. "I'm busy... Doctor."

"Come on, Chloe. Don't be a spoilsport. What's the big project?" She left the kitchen, which naturally let them follow her into the hallway. "I'm dying to know, what are you making up there?"

They didn't receive an answer, only a screech from upstairs, the voice of Rose, clearly afraid. "Doctor!" And that was all they needed to spring into action.

     EJ disliked stairs; they always seemed to get in the way. Running up them took a lot longer, and a lot more energy. By the time they arrived in Chloe's room beside Rose, a mountain of things could have happened. Thankfully, she was still there, and relatively safe.

     "I'm coming to get you." A deep voice growled, and suddenly, it seemed like Rose was going to fall into the wardrobe.

  The Doctor pulled her back and slammed the doors shut, using his sonic to keep them that way. "Look at it!" Rose's eyes widened.