4

→ PRESENT DAY

And just like that, a few years passed by. It was relatively stressful, all this knowledge, courses, placements, whatever else there was, it was a hell of a ride to get where I am now.

But do I regret those sleepless nights, or sacrificing my wellbeing now? No, not at all.

"Dr Lee, you have someone requesting you at reception." One of the nurses approached me, and I nodded, heading over to the reception.

I looked at the older woman stood at the reception, waiting for me. She turned to look at me, a smile on her face as she approached me slowly.

"Oh? Hello Miss, what brings you here again?" I gave her a light smile, she had been one of the patients I had to endure a very long and complicated surgery for, luckily, she made it out healthily with little to no side effects.

"Here child, I brought you a thank you gift, for saving my life." She pulled out a basket, filled with fruit and a note slot inside.

I gave a small laugh, she was so adorable.

"Oh come on Miss Kwon, you really didn't need to do this, it's my job." I laughed, taking the basket off her hands and giving her a bow.

"You saved me, I don't know how you do it, but you did it well. I am forever grateful for you." She smiled, holding my hand gently.

"Well, thank you so much. Please take care of yourself, I wish you health." I smiled back, watching her walk out of the place. 

The receptionist looked at me, a little smile forming on her face.

"Looks like everybody likes you Dr Lee." She spoke, and I just gave another chuckle, I suppose they all do.

I placed the basket in the staff room, I'd bring it to my mother later.

I made my way over to my office, sitting down and just heaving a large sigh. It's been a long day, luckily I'm off for a few days after this shift.

I scrolled on my phone for a little while, a post catching my eye.

'HAPPILY ANNOUNCING, ME AND SEOKHOON ARE GETTING MARRIED SOON ENOUGH, AFTER BEING ENGAGED FOR SO LONG, WE ARE REVEALING TO YOU ALL THAT OUR MARRIAGE CEREMONY WILL BE SOON, INVITES WILL BE GOING OUT, THANK YOU ALL FOR THE SUPPORT'

My mouth dropped to the floor, one of my highschool friends that I was relatively close with, had gotten married with her highschool boyfriend. I stared at the post in shock, and at the pictures attached.

No way they managed to last that long, and get married too? I was baffled, absolutely stunned for words.

Wow. I almost couldn't believe my eyes. I scrolled on her page, looking through her pictures and just out of general curiosity, seeing how her life was nowadays.

She seemed to be doing pretty well, same with Seokhoon. But I was still stunned at how she was getting married with him now, wow. And me? I don't even have a boyfriend.

I suppose that was a downside of sacrificing your life to be a surgeon, you don't have much free time when you're working to become one, and in return, you won't really have a social life.

I didn't mind that much, I always found the comfort of myself better than being in a huge group of people. The odd occasion, I'd go out, but that was pretty rare anyways.

It made me wonder, how were my other classmates doing? I wondered about them, reminiscing about the old times.

And then a familiar name popped up in my head, a name that just made me roll my eyes even though I haven't heard from him in years.

Park Jongseong, ugh, that guy.

Truthfully, I did think of him some days, I wondered whether he was a doctor too, what did he specialise in, which clinic, or even, what was he doing nowadays?

I was just curious to see how he was getting along, whether he actually was leeching off his father's money or not, all the questions I had about him, I refused to resolve.

I think if I saw him nowadays I'd probably punch him in his face. See, now I'm not afraid to speak my mind, and act upon my words too, for all the stuff he did to me within the past few years, I think a slap would be the least he deserves.

I gave a sigh, wondering when it'd be my time to even get a boyfriend for a start, a lot of my friends had been getting engaged, married and even starting families? And me? I live alone and ninety-percent of my life is revolved around my job.

I hope that at least one day, I'll be able to find a guy who can truly treat me right. But who am I kidding, there's not a guy in the world who is like that.